All Apps and Add-ons

Dashboard Examples - Custom Visualization - How to remove description panel?

dstaulcu
Builder

Background:
I am working on a dashboard to show attributes of our ldap-based users of Splunk. I thought it would be fun to leverage the tag cloud visualization included in splunk 6 dashboard examples app to show our most heavy users. This is my first attempt at use of custom visualizations among the examples.

I cloned the tag cloud visualization with auto-discovery dashboard. Now that I've got that that working with my own custom search, I want to get rid rid of the description ?panel? at the bottom of the dashboard... I can't seem to figure out how to get rid of it! Any suggestions?

0 Karma
1 Solution

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Those are automagically built by dashboard.js in etc/apps/simple_xml_examples/appserver/static, which is loaded for every dashboard in that app. Once you move your cloned dashboard to its target app the description panel will disappear. Note, you may need to copy some JS/CSS files needed for the tag cloud as well.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Those are automagically built by dashboard.js in etc/apps/simple_xml_examples/appserver/static, which is loaded for every dashboard in that app. Once you move your cloned dashboard to its target app the description panel will disappear. Note, you may need to copy some JS/CSS files needed for the tag cloud as well.

0 Karma

pdjhh
Communicator

Hi there.

I downloaded dashboard examples and have made some new panels. However I'm getting the big xml preview panel on the bottom of all my dashboards in my working app and don't know how to get rid of them. Can anyone help please?

Thanks.

0 Karma

pdjhh
Communicator

Ok, funny how you post a question then do something and it works. I must have copied dashboard.js over to my app. I've gone in there now and rem'd out some lines and I no longer see the preview code at the bottom.

It was these:

// Create the source code viewer
new SourceViewer({
model: model,
collection: sourceFileModels,
el: $('

').insertAfter($('.dashboard-body'))
}).render();

0 Karma

dstaulcu
Builder

got it! thank you! steps:

1. find dashboard of interest among examples
  2. make note of script and stylesheet file names listed in dashboard of interest
  3. clone dashboard
  4. move cloned dashboard to preferred app
  5. copy script and stylesheet files from etc/apps/simple_xml_examples/appserver/static to corresponding folders in desired app.
  6. changes path references in scripts or stylesheets as needed to reflect new app locations
  7. restart splunk
0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The switch from loading application.js to loading dashboard.js is documented in several places, for example here: http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.0.1/AdvancedDev/Migration#JavaScript_and_CSS_support_c...

As for moving dashboards, you can move them like any object by navigating to Settings -> User Interface -> Views and then clicking Move for the dashboard you want to move.

0 Karma

dstaulcu
Builder

Thanks! I don't see an option to move the dashboard. If I wanted to make the dashboard part of the search app, what folders should I move and to where?

Is this process documented somewhere that I am missing?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...