All Apps and Add-ons

DBXquery or DBxlookup for getting million rows of records from database to do the correlation

arrangineni
Path Finder

I am planning to setup a query within splunk where I need to collect 3 million records from the database and correlate the data with the CSV Lookup which I have in splunk. I am not looking for indexing the database data in splunk but only use it for correlation. Which would be the better way of using?

| dbxquery ... | lookup csvFileName.csv ... | outputlookup xyz.csv
| lookup csvFileName.csv | dbxlookup connection= query= ..... | outputlookup xyz.csv

Will there be any performance issues on the database or on the splunk server for running this queries for getting million records?

0 Karma

nawazns5038
Builder

Hi @arrangineni ,

Did you get it working, how did the testing go. Even I am planning to use the dbxlookup for a huge correlation.
We could work together

Thanks
Nawaz

0 Karma

jcoates
Communicator

Hi,

you should read the first part of this page to make sure you're selecting the right design: http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/DBX/3.1.3/DeployDBX/Createandmanagedatabaselookups

With such a large lookup, you're going to end up with an index anyway, either an automatic summary or a KV store... which effectively means "copy from one database into another database".

0 Karma

arrangineni
Path Finder

Thanks for your reply. May I now if there will be any maximum number of rows limit from the database while I use the second scenario using Splunk DB connect Lookups. Wil that impact any system performance from Splunk or Database getting 3 Million records at a single run.

jcoates
Communicator

there's always a maximum somewhere... 3 million is large enough to produce bundle replication challenges for instance. DBX doesn't have a built-in limit that I'm aware of, but you could certainly produce a query that's bigger than the database wants to return.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...