All Apps and Add-ons

DBConnect "cannot communicate with task server"

nick405060
Motivator

Splunk 7.2 running on Ubuntu. I specified /usr/lib/jre1.8.0_191.... tried ports 9998 and 1025.

Cannot communicate with task server, please check your settings
Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

nick405060
Motivator

Lmfao, here's the answer.

So in the newer 3+ versions of DBConnect (by new, I mean multiple years old and somehow someone thought it was unacceptable NOT to do anything about it), you need to specify the JDK path, not JRE. Forget the fact that every version of DBconnect ever has pointed to the JRE, and forget the fact that it literally says to enter the "JRE Installation Path." Here's a suggestion: maybe the configuration shouldn't ASK for the JRE path?? It literally says JRE Installation Path. Just edit one line of your code guys.

Second, that still didn't fix the problem. It gave me the same error message after trying it with the JDK. You need to magically know that, despite getting an error message, despite it telling you it was unable to save your settings or start the task server, everything is actually okay. If you reboot Splunk DBconnect will now be configured.

#logic

View solution in original post

ManchitMalik
Explorer

There might be the issue with httpinput app. check the folder- $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/htttp_input. Make sure this directory is available.

0 Karma

nick405060
Motivator

Lmfao, here's the answer.

So in the newer 3+ versions of DBConnect (by new, I mean multiple years old and somehow someone thought it was unacceptable NOT to do anything about it), you need to specify the JDK path, not JRE. Forget the fact that every version of DBconnect ever has pointed to the JRE, and forget the fact that it literally says to enter the "JRE Installation Path." Here's a suggestion: maybe the configuration shouldn't ASK for the JRE path?? It literally says JRE Installation Path. Just edit one line of your code guys.

Second, that still didn't fix the problem. It gave me the same error message after trying it with the JDK. You need to magically know that, despite getting an error message, despite it telling you it was unable to save your settings or start the task server, everything is actually okay. If you reboot Splunk DBconnect will now be configured.

#logic
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...