All Apps and Add-ons

DB inputs are partially visible in Splunk DB connect GUI

nishad_tupe
Explorer

I am creating the db_inputs.conf file using the python script that creates multiple database inputs with multiple queries.

However, whenever I place this files in the dir /opt/splunk/etc/apps/splunk_app_db_connect/local only last stanza is picked up by app and data is ingested only for last stanza for e.g.

Let's say I have 38 queries each (total 76) for 2 connections and have the following sequence in db_inputs.conf file

[input 1 ...]
[input 2...
[mssql:database:dm_db_fts_index_physical_stats]
description = Collect information for each full-text or semantic index in each table that has an associated full-text or semantic index
host = server1.com
connection = ProWatch_server1_1521
index = mssql
interval = 300
mode = batch
index_time_mode = current
query = SELECT *,CONVERT(varchar(128),SERVERPROPERTY('ServerName')) AS ServerName, db_name() AS DatabaseName FROM sys.dm_db_fts_index_physical_stats
sourcetype = mssql:database:dm_db_fts_index_physical_stats

And then, next stanza (last stanza)
[input 1...]
[input 2 ..]
[mssql:database:dm_db_fts_index_physical_stats]
description = Collect information for each full-text or semantic index in each table that has an associated full-text or semantic index
host = server2.com
connection = MS_server2_15959
index = mssql
interval = 300
mode = batch
index_time_mode = current
query = SELECT *,CONVERT(varchar(128),SERVERPROPERTY('ServerName')) AS ServerName, db_name() AS DatabaseName FROM sys.dm_db_fts_index_physical_stats
sourcetype = mssql:database:dm_db_fts_index_physical_stats

Then only last stanza is visible in splunk_db_connect GUI - inputs tab, which means I am able to see only inputs related to one connection whichever is placed later.

Do you know why such behavior? is there any restriction on the number of characters in db_inputs .conf?
inputs are identical for each connection so only for one connection is picked up?

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
Nishad

0 Karma
1 Solution

ivanreis
Builder

Per my understanding, the inputs should not have the same name. I never used the python script to create the db connections, but the issue here is you have identical names for inputs, then name each input using different names and there is no character limits per my knowledge.

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/DBX/3.1.4/DeployDBX/dbinputs

View solution in original post

0 Karma

nishad_tupe
Explorer

Thank you Ivan, yes you pointed right point. I was repeating my inputs name and that was the issue.
Actually, the requirements of my project provoked me to write a python script.
So I have to create 140 odd DB connections each with 40 queries, I tried bulk connect options of DB connect app it's not sufficient and still requires a lot of manual efforts.
The good part is script doesn't have any issues. It just needs additional logic to create a unique input name for each query/connection.

I appreciate you are taking the time and answering my question it is indeed a great help.

Regards,
Nishad

0 Karma

ivanreis
Builder

It is a pleasure share the knowledge. Happy Splunking!

0 Karma

ivanreis
Builder

Per my understanding, the inputs should not have the same name. I never used the python script to create the db connections, but the issue here is you have identical names for inputs, then name each input using different names and there is no character limits per my knowledge.

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/DBX/3.1.4/DeployDBX/dbinputs

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...