All Apps and Add-ons

DB connect app 3.5.1 Oracle databases SID with underscore

KOJL
Explorer

Hello!

I have the last months been working on automating adding/deleting new/old databases through a cmdb database. 
It's working pretty well and maybe one day i hope to make it available for the community. 

But last week I ran into some trouble and I can not find any mentioning of this problem. 
This project has a lot of oracle databases, somewhat 700 or so.
And it turns out some of them contain an underscore (_) in the middle of their SID. 
And i noticed that all of these fail to connect to the database. 

It does not matter if it gets created from the automation app from the web UI, the error message is the same. 

{"errors":[{"messageKey":"DATABASE_CONNECTION_INVALID_ERROR","args":{"name":"<HOSTNAME>"},"message":"Database connection <HOSTNAME> is invalid.","messageTemplate":"Database connection {name} is invalid.","detail":"Listener refused the connection with the following error:\nORA-12505, TNS:listener does not currently know of SID given in connect descriptor\n \r\n\r\nDiagnosis:\r\nIt seems like the provided database SID does not exist.\r\n\r\nPossible resolution:\r\nPlease provide the correct database SID"}]}

So it would seem as the DB connect app does not like it when underscores are a part of the SID. 
Has anyone else ran into this issue?

Labels (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi

This seems to be a non allowed naming on Oracle side. 

https://docs.oracle.com/en/database/oracle/oracle-database/12.2/rilin/selecting-a-database-name.html...

The _ is allowed only on RAC where it is used to separate nodes.

Database Name and ORACLE_SID

The Oracle Service Identifier (SID) prefix is the first 8 characters of the database name. The SID prefix can contain only the characters a-z, A-Z, and 0-9. The SID prefix cannot contain operating system special characters, so if you use special characters in the first 8 characters of the database name, then these special characters are omitted in the SID prefix. There is a single SID prefix for every database. The SID prefix for a database must be unique within the cluster.

r. Ismo 

View solution in original post

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi

This seems to be a non allowed naming on Oracle side. 

https://docs.oracle.com/en/database/oracle/oracle-database/12.2/rilin/selecting-a-database-name.html...

The _ is allowed only on RAC where it is used to separate nodes.

Database Name and ORACLE_SID

The Oracle Service Identifier (SID) prefix is the first 8 characters of the database name. The SID prefix can contain only the characters a-z, A-Z, and 0-9. The SID prefix cannot contain operating system special characters, so if you use special characters in the first 8 characters of the database name, then these special characters are omitted in the SID prefix. There is a single SID prefix for every database. The SID prefix for a database must be unique within the cluster.

r. Ismo 

KOJL
Explorer

Hi!

Thank you for these answers! 
I tried just removing the _ and everything that followed it, and db connect seem to have accepted it. 
I'll let the automation try and create the input during the night and hopefully it will work intended. 
I'll update the post tomorrow and see if it was successfull in using the "stripped" version of the SID.
Once again big thanks. 

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...