All Apps and Add-ons

DB Connect V3 database input indexes encoded text \ gibberish

Explorer

Hello,
I'm having problems with indexing data from a database using DB Connect V3.
I'm able to index the specific database and the results show on my search head, the problem is some values of specific columns which are in Hebrew aren't being shown correctly. They show up as unicode's unknown character symbol -
unicode's unknown character symbol

I've tried adding the following props.conf settings under the search head
[specific_sourcetype]
charset = UTF-8

Still doesn't seem to work.

Thanks.

0 Karma
1 Solution

Explorer

Got it.

I added the following parameters to the JVM options (In the same line: -param1 -param2 -param3)
-Dfile.encoding=UTF-8 -DdefaultCharset=UTF-8

Thanks to @cdpascariu who answered it here:
https://answers.splunk.com/answers/511477/how-to-configure-character-set-encoding-when-using-1.html

View solution in original post

0 Karma

Explorer

Got it.

I added the following parameters to the JVM options (In the same line: -param1 -param2 -param3)
-Dfile.encoding=UTF-8 -DdefaultCharset=UTF-8

Thanks to @cdpascariu who answered it here:
https://answers.splunk.com/answers/511477/how-to-configure-character-set-encoding-when-using-1.html

View solution in original post

0 Karma

Explorer

Tried adding the props.conf above under the Heavy Forwarder itself according to this
https://wiki.splunk.com/Where_do_I_configure_my_Splunk_settings%3F
Hebrew still doesn't show up correctly.

0 Karma
State of Splunk Careers

Access the Splunk Careers Report to see real data that shows how Splunk mastery increases your value and job satisfaction.

Find out what your skills are worth!