All Apps and Add-ons

DB Connect, Red Hat 8, and MS SQL 2014

L1nklight
Explorer

Hey all,

I am in the process of migrating from a Windows Heavy Forwarder to a Linux Heavy Forwarder for Splunk Cloud. Part of this exercise involves migrating the Splunk DB Connect App from the Windows HF Box to the new Red Hat 8.4 HF box.

Quick Details:

• Splunk DBConnect 3.6.0
  • DBConnect App Host
    • Red Hat Linux 8.4 ga
    • OpenJDK(Coretto) 11.0.2 LTS
  • MS SQL Server

I basically duplicated the configuration from the original Windows Server that ran DBConnect App. I brought over the same connection information as well as the same identity information. I've validated that the identity information is correct. I am getting the following error:

Database connection server.domain.com is invalid.
The driver could not establish a secure connection to SQL Server by using Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) encryption.
Error: "Certificates do not conform to algorithm constraints".

This seems to imply that there is some sort of certificate negotiation error. I have browsed through the DBConnect documentation but nothing inside there seems to help. I noticed a few different keystores around the db connect app and I tried messing with a few of them, but without luck. Currently in the "keystore" folder, I have loaded a domain PKI cut/issued cert/key pair and the domain PKI CA chain. None of those seem to make any difference. My basic connection string looks like the following in the edit url box:

jdbc:sqlserver://server.domain.com:1433;databaseName=Splunk;selectMethod=cursor;encrypt=true

I've tried various differentiations of this as well like:

jdbc:sqlserver://server.domain.com:1433;databaseName=Splunk;selectMethod=cursor;encrypt=true;trustStore=/opt/splunk/etc/apps/splunk_app_db_connect/keystore/default.jks;trustStorePassword=password

I wasn't sure how to configure the JRE installation path and I also wasn't too positive on where it was located in the Red Hat 8.4 instance. I did some tracking and I think it's loaded here:

/usr/lib/jvm/java-11-openjdk-11.0.12.0.7-0.el8_4.x86_64/

I mainly did that because it appears like JAVA_HOME wasn't set in the OS. I could have set it but I figured it would take out any potentially issues if I just pointed it directly at the folder.

I haven't had much luck. I loaded up wireshark and confirmed I could see the connection and I do see the inbound 1433 connection from the heavy forwarder. I do see the active connection being made, but because it's over 1433 Wireshark isn't showing any TLS negotiation. I am not sure if that's an issue or not.

I am not sure where else to go from here. Does anyone have any thoughts?

Labels (2)
Tags (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

L1nklight
Explorer

I've figured out the issue. I had to take ownership over the SQL Server. After I got on it I realized 2 things. 

1. The SQL server service account was being run as the local MSSQLSERVER account. 
  2. The SQL Server Configuration manager did not have a Certificate applied under SQL Server Network Configuration > Protocols for MSSQLSERVER > Right Click Properties > Certificate

So I attempted to put a certificate on the SQL Server service however, the service wouldn't start. After some further research, the service won't start if its being run as a local account. I created a network account and gave it the proper permissions and then applied it to the SQL Server Service. Once I did that then I started service successfully and the original error message disappeared. 

I am now running into a different issue trying to test the connections however, it looks like I am running into a known issue (https://community.splunk.com/t5/All-Apps-and-Add-ons/Splunk-DBConnect-3-1-1-Build-34-There-was-an-er...)? Can someone confirm? Error message:

There was an error processing your request. It has been logged (ID ddc19c6c869a60ee)

View solution in original post

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Port number has nothing to do with Wireshark showing TLS negotiation or not (at least in the typical configuration unless you did something bad to it 😉). Even if it wasn't decoding the TLS setup itself you should at least be able to spot some of the certificate data (like DN or CA name) within the packets being exchanged.

If you don't it's probable that no TLS negotiation is taking place.

0 Karma

L1nklight
Explorer

It appears you have to dig pretty deep to see any sort of TLS info. It's not a standard TLS protocol setup by any means. I see the following two packets in succession:

KawV3Eq

It appears like a TLS connection is being attempted:

ClNLeQq

Ff1Aj7e

Still can't tell if it's being rejected because of certificates or because of a failed TLS negotiation. 

Tags (1)
0 Karma

L1nklight
Explorer

I've figured out the issue. I had to take ownership over the SQL Server. After I got on it I realized 2 things. 

1. The SQL server service account was being run as the local MSSQLSERVER account. 
  2. The SQL Server Configuration manager did not have a Certificate applied under SQL Server Network Configuration > Protocols for MSSQLSERVER > Right Click Properties > Certificate

So I attempted to put a certificate on the SQL Server service however, the service wouldn't start. After some further research, the service won't start if its being run as a local account. I created a network account and gave it the proper permissions and then applied it to the SQL Server Service. Once I did that then I started service successfully and the original error message disappeared. 

I am now running into a different issue trying to test the connections however, it looks like I am running into a known issue (https://community.splunk.com/t5/All-Apps-and-Add-ons/Splunk-DBConnect-3-1-1-Build-34-There-was-an-er...)? Can someone confirm? Error message:

There was an error processing your request. It has been logged (ID ddc19c6c869a60ee)

0 Karma

L1nklight
Explorer

Fixed. Upgraded driver to the 9.4 jre8 driver from Microsoft. 

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...