All Apps and Add-ons

DB Connect: Why can it not communicate with task server?

performancemoni
Path Finder

Hello,

We are trying to install DB Connect 3.1.4 on a new Splunk instance (Splunk Entreprise 7.2.6 on Linux RedHat server).
We previously installed java 1.8 (jre1.8.0_211-amd64), the path to the jre is /usr/java/jre1.8.0_211-amd64/ the directory is owned by the user that launches the Splunk service.
It's not the first time we are installing DB Connect, we already did it twice on Splunk 7.2.1 and followed the same configurations.

So after installing the app DB Connect we get the error "Cannot communicate with task server, please check your settings".

• Using task server port 9998 or 1025 doesn't change anything (and "netstat -an | grep 9998" or "netstat -an | grep 1025" returns nothing).
  • The JRE installation path used in DB Connect setting was detected automatically after installing the app, it is set to "/usr/java/jre1.8.0_211-amd64" (which is the correct path)
  • We can't find a lot of information by searching: index=_internal sourcetype=dbx*, only logs like 2019-06-11T17:21:04+0200 [INFO] [settings.py], line 121: update java path file [/splunk/etc/apps/splunk_app_db_connect/linux_x86_64/bin/customized.java.path] Telling us that we are editing the java path.

We tried restarting Splunk or installing a whole JDK instead of JRE, we don't know what to do anymore.
Does anyone have any ideas?

Thank you for your help!

Labels (1)

yaasirvatham_sp
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Simple:-

1) Open:-  vim /etc/profile 

export JAVA_HOME="/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.8.0-openjdk-amd64/jre/"

export PATH=$JAVA_HOME/bin:$PATH

save the above two lines

2) source /etc/profile

The above command will update in OS or logout and login to ssh.

3) restart splunkd service

4) Now go to UI, splunk_db_connect, configuration, general, 

JRE Installation Path(JAVA_HOME) -> /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.8.0-openjdk-amd64/jre

save, it will work 

0 Karma

dm1
Contributor

I have also installed jdk(18) but there is no folder called jre in it. all it has is /bin, conf, include, jmods, legal and lib. plz advise!

0 Karma

performancemoni
Path Finder

Update

We looked into the Monitoring Console to perform a healtcheck of the app DB Connect. Basically we get some expected errors for inputs/outputs/lookups/identities/connections/drivers because DBX Server is not available, please make sure it is started and listening on 9998 port or consult documentation for details..

And then we get what seems to be the main problem at the step Java Server configuration: The bootstrap conditions of the Java Server fail. The modular input to start the Java Server failed to be registered to Splunk

Also it seems the JVM installation is correct according to the healthcheck (correct version and java path is correctly set by DB Connect commands and server).

0 Karma

jasonuss
Engager

I know this is an old one, but my searches brought me here and it might bring someone else here.

After going through installing new java versions and all the JAVA HOME settings, I used my EDR tool and noticed this file was being called:
/opt/splunk/etc/apps/splunk_app_db_connect/linux_x86_64/bin/customized.java.path

It had reference to the older java versions and not the new one. Updated the path in there. 

So for anyone who finds this and has problems starting up the taskserver after updating Java. search for the "customized.java.path" file in the dbConnect app folders.

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I believe it's the https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/DBX/3.14.1/DeployDBX/Prerequisites#Configure_Java_Runtime_Envi... step. (True, the docs could say how to do it without the GUI; it might be worth posting a docs feedback - bottom of the webpage)

0 Karma

DavidHourani
Super Champion

Hi @performancemonitoring,

Check this out :
https://answers.splunk.com/answers/702333/dbconnect-cannot-communicate-with-task-server.html

Set JDK path not JRE.

Cheers,
David

0 Karma

performancemoni
Path Finder

So we installed a JDK, set the $JAVA_HOME and the JRE Installation Path in DB Connect to "/usr/java/jdk1.8.0_191-amd64", saved the settings (here we get the usual error "Failed to restart task server.") and then restarted Splunk as mentioned in the thread but it still doesn't work after that.

0 Karma

DavidHourani
Super Champion

From this error : "DBX Server is not available, please make sure it is started and listening on 9998 port" it seems that firewalld might be blocking your port... try to allow it using firewall-cmd.

0 Karma

DavidHourani
Super Champion
0 Karma

p_gurav
Champion

Hi performancemonitoring,

Did you set $JAVA_HOME?

0 Karma

performancemoni
Path Finder

We have set JAVA_HOME with "/usr/java/jre1.8.0_211-amd64", restarted Splunk and tried to communicate with the task server but it didn't work.

Also it seems we didn't set $JAVA_HOME for our 2 previous instances and yet it worked for them, so this is a bit confusing.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...