All Apps and Add-ons

DB Connect - Cannot communicate with task server, please check your settings

jeremyhagand61
Communicator

I've got Splunk 8.1.2 running on Windows Server 2019. I've installed the latest version of DB Connect after after configuring the the General page it always says "Cannot communicate with task server, please check your settings"

There are no errors in the dbconnect logs (index=_internal sourcetype=dbx*)

But the output of one line might be interesting it says:

[main] INFO  org.quartz.core.QuartzScheduler - Scheduler meta-data: Quartz Scheduler (v2.3.2) 'QuartzScheduler' with instanceId 'NON_CLUSTERED'
  Scheduler class: 'org.quartz.core.QuartzScheduler' - running locally.
  NOT STARTED.
  Currently in standby mode.
  Number of jobs executed: 0
  Using thread pool 'org.quartz.simpl.SimpleThreadPool' - with 32 threads.
  Using job-store 'org.quartz.simpl.RAMJobStore' - which does not support persistence. and is not clustered.

I am not sure if this is normal or not.

The query server has no problem running on port 9999 and there is nothing else listening on port 9998

I have tried all of the things I could find in posts on this forum and in the documentation.  I can't find anywhere to go with this.

Labels (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

jeremyhagand61
Communicator

It was this:

Reference
=========
https://knowledge.broadcom.com/external/article/193454/certificates-using-rsassapss-signature-a.html

"The certificate has signature algorithm RSASSA-PSS which is not supported on older JDKs. JDK 8 u241 has introduced support for PKCS#11 v2.40 which supports RSASSA-PSS algorithm. Please check the link below for more documentation"
==========

And was fixed by updating to 1.8.0_281 of JDK

View solution in original post

0 Karma

jeremyhagand61
Communicator

It was this:

Reference
=========
https://knowledge.broadcom.com/external/article/193454/certificates-using-rsassapss-signature-a.html

"The certificate has signature algorithm RSASSA-PSS which is not supported on older JDKs. JDK 8 u241 has introduced support for PKCS#11 v2.40 which supports RSASSA-PSS algorithm. Please check the link below for more documentation"
==========

And was fixed by updating to 1.8.0_281 of JDK

0 Karma

jeremyhagand61
Communicator

I have found this in the Splunkd.log file

02-24-2021 11:18:55.636 +1100 ERROR ExecProcessor - message from ""C:\Program Files\Splunk\etc\apps\splunk_app_db_connect\windows_x86_64\bin\server.exe"" java.lang.RuntimeException: java.security.cert.CertificateException: Certificates do not conform to algorithm constraints

But am not sure what certificates it is talking about. Has anyone seen this? 

duartet
Path Finder

Same issue here on a RHEL 8.4 server with Splunk 7.3.9

Java version: openjdk version "1.8.0_292"

Also saw this:

Caused by: java.security.cert.CertPathValidatorException: Algorithm constraints check failed on keysize limits: RSA 1024 bit key used with certificate: EMAILADDRESS=support@splunk.com, CN=SplunkCommonCA, O=Splunk, L=San Francisco, ST=CA, C=US

They should probably be using a RSA 2048 bit key already

Tags (1)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...