All Apps and Add-ons

DB-Connect 3: Can't save MySQL connection

mzprg
Engager

Hi, I'm trying to use DB-Connect to get logs from a MySQL database that I have hosted on another device on the same network. I am unable to save the connection.

Error is as such:

2020-06-17 22:00:02.526 +0800  [dw-68 - POST /api/connections/status] ERROR io.dropwizard.jersey.errors.LoggingExceptionMapper - Error handling a request: 8e37d8d073fb043c
java.lang.NullPointerException: null
	at com.splunk.dbx.connector.logger.AuditLogger.replace(AuditLogger.java:50)
	at com.splunk.dbx.connector.logger.AuditLogger.error(AuditLogger.java:44)
	at com.splunk.dbx.server.api.service.database.impl.DatabaseMetadataServiceImpl.getStatus(DatabaseMetadataServiceImpl.java:159)
	at com.splunk.dbx.server.api.service.database.impl.DatabaseMetadataServiceImpl.getConnectionStatus(DatabaseMetadataServiceImpl.java:116)
	at com.splunk.dbx.server.api.resource.ConnectionResource.getConnectionStatusOfEntity(ConnectionResource.java:72)
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
	at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
	at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
	at org.glassfish.jersey.server.model.internal.ResourceMethodInvocationHandlerFactory.lambda$static$0(ResourceMethodInvocationHandlerFactory.java:52)
	at org.glassfish.jersey.server.model.internal.AbstractJavaResourceMethodDispatcher$1.run(AbstractJavaResourceMethodDispatcher.java:124)
	at org.glassfish.jersey.server.model.internal.AbstractJavaResourceMethodDispatcher.invoke(AbstractJavaResourceMethodDispatcher.java:167)
	at org.glassfish.jersey.server.model.internal.JavaResourceMethodDispatcherProvider$TypeOutInvoker.doDispatch(JavaResourceMethodDispatcherProvider.java:219)
	at org.glassfish.jersey.server.model.internal.AbstractJavaResourceMethodDispatcher.dispatch(AbstractJavaResourceMethodDispatcher.java:79)
	at org.glassfish.jersey.server.model.ResourceMethodInvoker.invoke(ResourceMethodInvoker.java:469)
	at org.glassfish.jersey.server.model.ResourceMethodInvoker.apply(ResourceMethodInvoker.java:391)
	at org.glassfish.jersey.server.model.ResourceMethodInvoker.apply(ResourceMethodInvoker.java:80)
	at org.glassfish.jersey.server.ServerRuntime$1.run(ServerRuntime.java:253)
	at org.glassfish.jersey.internal.Errors$1.call(Errors.java:248)
	at org.glassfish.jersey.internal.Errors$1.call(Errors.java:244)
	at org.glassfish.jersey.internal.Errors.process(Errors.java:292)
	at org.glassfish.jersey.internal.Errors.process(Errors.java:274)
	at org.glassfish.jersey.internal.Errors.process(Errors.java:244)
	at org.glassfish.jersey.process.internal.RequestScope.runInScope(RequestScope.java:265)
	at org.glassfish.jersey.server.ServerRuntime.process(ServerRuntime.java:232)
	at org.glassfish.jersey.server.ApplicationHandler.handle(ApplicationHandler.java:680)
	at org.glassfish.jersey.servlet.WebComponent.serviceImpl(WebComponent.java:392)
	at org.glassfish.jersey.servlet.WebComponent.service(WebComponent.java:346)
	at org.glassfish.jersey.servlet.ServletContainer.service(ServletContainer.java:365)
	at org.glassfish.jersey.servlet.ServletContainer.service(ServletContainer.java:318)
	at org.glassfish.jersey.servlet.ServletContainer.service(ServletContainer.java:205)
	at io.dropwizard.jetty.NonblockingServletHolder.handle(NonblockingServletHolder.java:50)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1617)
	at io.dropwizard.servlets.ThreadNameFilter.doFilter(ThreadNameFilter.java:35)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1604)
	at io.dropwizard.jersey.filter.AllowedMethodsFilter.handle(AllowedMethodsFilter.java:47)
	at io.dropwizard.jersey.filter.AllowedMethodsFilter.doFilter(AllowedMethodsFilter.java:41)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1604)
	at com.splunk.dbx.server.api.filter.ResponseHeaderFilter.doFilter(ResponseHeaderFilter.java:30)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.doHandle(ServletHandler.java:545)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.nextHandle(ScopedHandler.java:233)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler.doHandle(ContextHandler.java:1297)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.nextScope(ScopedHandler.java:188)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.doScope(ServletHandler.java:485)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.nextScope(ScopedHandler.java:186)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler.doScope(ContextHandler.java:1212)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.handle(ScopedHandler.java:141)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:127)
	at com.codahale.metrics.jetty9.InstrumentedHandler.handle(InstrumentedHandler.java:249)
	at io.dropwizard.jetty.RoutingHandler.handle(RoutingHandler.java:52)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.gzip.GzipHandler.handle(GzipHandler.java:717)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.RequestLogHandler.handle(RequestLogHandler.java:54)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.StatisticsHandler.handle(StatisticsHandler.java:173)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:127)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.Server.handle(Server.java:500)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpChannel.lambda$handle$1(HttpChannel.java:383)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpChannel.dispatch(HttpChannel.java:547)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpChannel.handle(HttpChannel.java:375)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpConnection.onFillable(HttpConnection.java:270)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.io.AbstractConnection$ReadCallback.succeeded(AbstractConnection.java:311)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.io.FillInterest.fillable(FillInterest.java:103)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.io.ChannelEndPoint$2.run(ChannelEndPoint.java:117)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.strategy.EatWhatYouKill.runTask(EatWhatYouKill.java:336)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.strategy.EatWhatYouKill.doProduce(EatWhatYouKill.java:313)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.strategy.EatWhatYouKill.tryProduce(EatWhatYouKill.java:171)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.strategy.EatWhatYouKill.run(EatWhatYouKill.java:129)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.ReservedThreadExecutor$ReservedThread.run(ReservedThreadExecutor.java:388)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.QueuedThreadPool.runJob(QueuedThreadPool.java:806)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.QueuedThreadPool$Runner.run(QueuedThreadPool.java:938)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

I have verified that I am able to connect to the database on the Splunk Instance through DBVisualiser.

Even if I install Splunk on the database server itself, it is still unable to save the connection.

Versions:

Java: 1.8.0_251

DB-Connect: 3.3.1

JDBC Driver for MySQL: mysql-connector-java-8.0.20

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

mzprg
Engager

The issue was the JDBC driver, I had to downgrade to an older version.

Instead of using the 8.0.20 JDBC driver, I used the 5.1.49 JDBC driver, found at the same website under "Looking for previous GA versions?".

JDBC driver: https://dev.mysql.com/downloads/connector/j/

View solution in original post

mzprg
Engager

The issue was the JDBC driver, I had to downgrade to an older version.

Instead of using the 8.0.20 JDBC driver, I used the 5.1.49 JDBC driver, found at the same website under "Looking for previous GA versions?".

JDBC driver: https://dev.mysql.com/downloads/connector/j/

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...