All Apps and Add-ons

DB Connect 3.1.4 - Unable to start server

skirven
Communicator

Hi! I'm trying to get a DB Connect 3.1.4 running, and what's strange is I had one working, but it stopped. Now, even with a fresh installation, I can't get it to start. I also tried from another server, and it's also failing It looks from the logs like the Task Server is failing with a 404. I do have Java in the path, so I can't see why this wouldn't be working. Any help would be appreciated.

020-02-03 16:16:55.187 -0500 45786@ [main] INFO  org.eclipse.jetty.server.AbstractConnector - Started application
@62b26bef{HTTP/1.1,[http/1.1]}{127.0.0.1:9998}
2020-02-03 16:16:55.187 -0500 45786@[main] ERROR io.dropwizard.cli.ServerCommand - Unable to start server, shutti
ng down
javax.servlet.ServletException: io.dropwizard.jersey.setup.JerseyServletContainer-71daf5d6@74ee0fd6==io.dropwizard.jersey.setup.
JerseyServletContainer,jsp=null,order=1,inst=false
        at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.initServlet(ServletHolder.java:691)
        at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.initialize(ServletHolder.java:427)
        at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.initialize(ServletHandler.java:760)
        at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletContextHandler.startContext(ServletContextHandler.java:374)
        at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler.doStart(ContextHandler.java:848)
        at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletContextHandler.doStart(ServletContextHandler.java:287)
        at org.eclipse.jetty.util.component.AbstractLifeCycle.start(AbstractLifeCycle.java:68)
        at org.eclipse.jetty.util.component.ContainerLifeCycle.start(ContainerLifeCycle.java:138)
        at org.eclipse.jetty.util.component.ContainerLifeCycle.doStart(ContainerLifeCycle.java:108)
        at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.AbstractHandler.doStart(AbstractHandler.java:113)
        at com.codahale.metrics.jetty9.InstrumentedHandler.doStart(InstrumentedHandler.java:103)
        at org.eclipse.jetty.util.component.AbstractLifeCycle.start(AbstractLifeCycle.java:68)
        at org.eclipse.jetty.util.component.ContainerLifeCycle.start(ContainerLifeCycle.java:138)
        at org.eclipse.jetty.util.component.ContainerLifeCycle.doStart(ContainerLifeCycle.java:117)
        at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.AbstractHandler.doStart(AbstractHandler.java:113)
        at org.eclipse.jetty.util.component.ContainerLifeCycle.doStart(ContainerLifeCycle.java:108)
        at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.gzip.GzipHandler.doStart(GzipHandler.java:403)
        at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.StatisticsHandler.doStart(StatisticsHandler.java:252)
        at org.eclipse.jetty.server.Server.start(Server.java:419)
        at org.eclipse.jetty.server.Server.doStart(Server.java:386)
        at io.dropwizard.cli.ServerCommand.run(ServerCommand.java:53)
        at io.dropwizard.cli.EnvironmentCommand.run(EnvironmentCommand.java:44)
        at io.dropwizard.cli.ConfiguredCommand.run(ConfiguredCommand.java:85)
        at io.dropwizard.cli.Cli.run(Cli.java:75)
        at io.dropwizard.Application.run(Application.java:93)
        at com.splunk.dbx.server.bootstrap.TaskServerStart.startTaskServer(TaskServerStart.java:121)
        at com.splunk.dbx.server.bootstrap.TaskServerStart.streamEvents(TaskServerStart.java:72)
        at com.splunk.modularinput.Script.run(Script.java:66)
        at com.splunk.modularinput.Script.run(Script.java:44)
        at com.splunk.dbx.server.bootstrap.TaskServerStart.main(TaskServerStart.java:150)
Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: com.splunk.HttpException: HTTP 404 -- Could not find object id=http
        at com.splunk.dbx.server.dbinput.recordwriter.HttpEventCollectorFactory.create(HttpEventCollectorFactory.java:71)
        at com.splunk.dbx.server.dbinput.recordwriter.HttpEventCollectorFactory.create(HttpEventCollectorFactory.java:52)
        at com.splunk.dbx.server.TaskServer.createHecService(TaskServer.java:487)
        at com.splunk.dbx.server.TaskServer.access$300(TaskServer.java:158)
        at com.splunk.dbx.server.TaskServer$2.configure(TaskServer.java:238)
        at org.glassfish.hk2.utilities.binding.AbstractBinder.bind(AbstractBinder.java:187)
        at org.glassfish.jersey.model.internal.CommonConfig.configureBinders(CommonConfig.java:676)
        at org.glassfish.jersey.model.internal.CommonConfig.configureMetaProviders(CommonConfig.java:641)
        at org.glassfish.jersey.server.ResourceConfig.configureMetaProviders(ResourceConfig.java:829)
        at org.glassfish.jersey.server.ApplicationHandler.initialize(ApplicationHandler.java:453)
        at org.glassfish.jersey.server.ApplicationHandler.access$500(ApplicationHandler.java:184)
        at org.glassfish.jersey.server.ApplicationHandler$3.call(ApplicationHandler.java:350)
        at org.glassfish.jersey.server.ApplicationHandler$3.call(ApplicationHandler.java:347)
        at org.glassfish.jersey.internal.Errors.process(Errors.java:315)
        at org.glassfish.jersey.internal.Errors.process(Errors.java:297)
        at org.glassfish.jersey.internal.Errors.processWithException(Errors.java:255)
        at org.glassfish.jersey.server.ApplicationHandler.<init>(ApplicationHandler.java:347)
        at org.glassfish.jersey.servlet.WebComponent.<init>(WebComponent.java:392)
        at org.glassfish.jersey.servlet.ServletContainer.init(ServletContainer.java:177)
        at org.glassfish.jersey.servlet.ServletContainer.init(ServletContainer.java:369)
        at javax.servlet.GenericServlet.init(GenericServlet.java:244)
        at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.initServlet(ServletHolder.java:670)
        ... 45 common frames omitted
Caused by: com.splunk.HttpException: HTTP 404 -- Could not find object id=http
        at com.splunk.HttpException.create(HttpException.java:84)
        at com.splunk.DBXService.sendImpl(DBXService.java:131)
        at com.splunk.DBXService.send(DBXService.java:43)
        at com.splunk.HttpService.get(HttpService.java:154)
        at com.splunk.Entity.refresh(Entity.java:381)
        at com.splunk.Entity.refresh(Entity.java:24)
        at com.splunk.Resource.validate(Resource.java:186)
        at com.splunk.Entity.validate(Entity.java:462)
        at com.splunk.Entity.getContent(Entity.java:157)
        at com.splunk.Entity.size(Entity.java:416)
        at java.util.HashMap.putMapEntries(HashMap.java:501)
        at java.util.HashMap.<init>(HashMap.java:490)
        at com.splunk.dbx.model.repository.JsonMapperEntityResolver.apply(JsonMapperEntityResolver.java:34)
        at com.splunk.dbx.server.dbinput.recordwriter.HttpEventCollectorFactory.enableGlobalHec(HttpEventCollectorFactory.jav
0 Karma
1 Solution

skirven
Communicator

After much research, I figured this one out. I had installed the HEC app on the same server. It binds to port 8088, which is not going to allow the DB Connect app to run. I disabled HEC, and all was well.
Thanks!
Stephen

View solution in original post

0 Karma

skirven
Communicator

After much research, I figured this one out. I had installed the HEC app on the same server. It binds to port 8088, which is not going to allow the DB Connect app to run. I disabled HEC, and all was well.
Thanks!
Stephen

0 Karma

jokertothequinn
Explorer

Hi, can you help me know what were you running on port 8088 except the HEC?

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

On Linux you could use command “ss -napt” to see what processes are running an in which port.

0 Karma

deepakdora

Hi Skriven! 

What did you exactly mean by disabling the HEC app. Can you give some more details about the app you are talking about?

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi

as the newer DB Connections use internally HEC it try to bind the same port which was used by HEC. For that reason it didn’t start. There are two ways to solve it, just switch port of HEC or DBX internally. Or as @skirven did, disable HEC on this node and enable it somewhere else.

r. Ismo

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...