All Apps and Add-ons

DB Connect 3.1.3 Hive connection

aaronbarry73
Path Finder

I am trying to install the Hive driver so that I can send Splunk data to the company's hadoop instance.

I found two articles that had some good details. Each uses a different method. I tried both and I haven't yet been successful.

1) https://answers.splunk.com/answers/575488/db-connect-3-hive-connection.html
The answer in this thread seems to indicate that I can drop the connection jar file, HiveJDBC4.jar into $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/splunk_app_db_connect/drivers/ and then the rest of the supporting files from the Cloudera zip file go into a new directory $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/splunk_app_db_connect/drivers/HiveJDBC4-lib/.

I tried this and then reloaded the drivers page in Splunk web, Hive driver still shows not installed.

2) https://www.splunk.com/blog/2015/02/25/splunk-db-connect-cloudera-hive-jdbc-connector.html
This blog post indicated that the driver should go in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/dbx/bin/lib. I'm assuming that would mean $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/splunk_app_db_connect/bin/lib. I don't have this path. I tried adding a new lib directory into the bin directory and then unzipping the Cloudera file here. THen I created database_types.conf and added it to $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/splunk_app_db_connect/local/. I reloaded the drivers page and still not showing that hive is installed.

Any thoughts on what else I could try or what I am doing wrong?

Thanks!

0 Karma

Nikitha
Explorer

Hi - did you manage to solve the issue ? I am also stuck in a similar situation

0 Karma

lroynsky
Explorer

I have HIVE running, here is my path for HiveJDBC41.jar (v 2.6) (From Cloudera):

$SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/splunk_app_db_connect/drivers

It also depends on your JRE version you have configured under JRE Installation Path under the configuration tab -> Settings.

0 Karma

rdagan_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Option # 1, is the right option for DB Connect version 3.
Are you using HiveJDBC4.jar or HiveJDBC41.jar?

It looks like HiveJDBC41.jar and supporting files are for JDK 1.7 and above

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...