All Apps and Add-ons

DB Connect 2 and Search Head Clustering: Should resource pool members be part of the SHC, or separate nodes outside of the SHC?

a212830
Champion

Hi,

I am working on upgrading to Splunk 6.2 and DB Connect 2. In my lab, I have SHC setup, and DB Connect2. Looking at the doc, it looks like db connect on the captain sends request to resource pool members to do the work. Should the resource pool members be part of the SHC, or should they be separate nodes, outside of the SHC.

0 Karma

jcoates_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

separate nodes, they should not be SHC members.

0 Karma

a212830
Champion

Thanks. So, which layer then? Are they independent, and not managed by any of the mgmt tools? (Deployer, CM, Deployment Server)...

0 Karma

jcoates_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

that's correct -- I assume that if you need pools in addition to SHC, it's because you're pumping data at a significant rate. Forwarders are the ideal home for that.

0 Karma

bandit
Motivator

Wouldn't it be better to have this hosted on the SHC for redundancy of the database feeds? If I lose the forwarder forwarder, don't I lose all db feeds?

0 Karma

jcoates_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

That would be better in theory, but in practice it will not work. On an SHC, only the captain will run DBX jobs.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...