All Apps and Add-ons

DB Connect 2.0.1 shows NOT SUPPORTED TYPE for MySQL TINYINT

PGrantham
Path Finder

Hi all,

I recently installed DB Connect (2.0.1) and all dependencies, JRE 1.8.0_45 and the MySQL connector mysql-connector-java-5.1.35-bin.jar on a Splunk 6.2.2 search head.

I am able to connect to my MySQL database no problem, and create lookups and inputs without issue EXCEPT when there's a TINYINT type. For any column that is a TINYINT the field is filled with '## NOT SUPPORTED TYPE ##'

Has anyone else experienced this? Any suggestions on how this may be resolved (other than changing the types for all TINYINT columns)?

Any help is much appreciated!

EDIT:
Turns out we're actually using MariaDB and not MySQL. However, even after adding the MariaDB driver and a MariaDB stanza in db_connection_types.conf I'm seeing the same results. The DB Connect queries returns everything fine except for TINYINT types for which is shows '## NOT SUPPORTED TYPE ##'

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Tags (2)

ggiessen
Explorer

There is a difference in how the MS SQL Server driver handles VARCHAR(max) compared with jTDS.

The MS driver reports the column as a standard VARCHAR, jTDS however treats the column as a LOB.

Workaround is to set the "USELOBS" driver property for jTDS to "false".

Copy db_connection_types.conf from default to local and change this line:

jdbcUrlFormat = jdbc:jtds:sqlserver://<host>:<port>/<database>;useCursors=true

into:

jdbcUrlFormat = jdbc:jtds:sqlserver://<host>:<port>/<database>;useCursors=true;UseLOBs=false 

pchiu
Engager

Hi,

Issue solved in DBConnect 2.0.4

Cheers

P.

jizzmaster
Path Finder

I'm having this same problem. Getting results of "## NOT SUPPORTED TYPE ##" for several binary16 fields. Haven't figured out what the issue is yet.

Database = MySQL
Driver = jTDS and MySQL
Java = jre1.8.0_45
Python = 2.6.6
Splunk Enterprise = 6.2.3
DB Connect v2 = 2.0.2

tmeader
Contributor

I'm seeing the same thing now with a MS SQL Server connection as well in DB Connect 2.0.4. Specifically with a binary16 field. This field displays just fine with DBConnect 1.2.1.

Would really like to get migrated over, but seems like we won't be able to until this gets resolved. Any help would REALLY be appreciated.

We're running Java8u60 and I've tried both the sqljdbc4.jar and sqljdbc42.jar (just to see if the 'updated' one works any better)... same issue with both.

This is a SQL Server 2005 DB, but again, works just fine with DBConnect 1.2.1.

0 Karma

PGrantham
Path Finder

Well, I've found a workaround. It isn't great but it works fine for my purposes.

In my environment we're using tinyint in place of boolean. I'm not sure if it's the driver or python2.7 or Splunk that's causing the ## NOT SUPPORTED TYPE ## issue but I can get what I need with:

SELECT IF(mytinyint='1','true','false') as mytinyint FROM mydb;

bwang_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi, I use mysql-connector-java-5.1.25-bin.jar. Java 1.8_31. I can get tinyint values shows up for me.

0 Karma

PGrantham
Path Finder

Thanks for the quick response! I tried going back in versions for the driver and the JRE but still see ## NOT SUPPORTED TYPE ## for TINYINT types 😞

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...