All Apps and Add-ons

Cylance Protect data integration with Enterprise Security ES

smitra_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi,

I need to use the Cylance Protect syslog data in Enterprise Security.

Has anyone used this data in ES context ? What data models does the data to map to and whether any additional field extractions are required ?
Just an FYI - I'm receiving the following Cylance Protect sourcetypes. The Cylance TA and App are able to parse and display data and information respectively.
syslog_audit_log
syslog_device
syslog_script_control

Any pointers/directions are appreciated!

Best Regards,
Shreedeep Mitra.

1 Solution

darrenfuller
Contributor

Hi Shreedeep,

The TA has three CIM aligned Event Types:

Event type one:. protect_alert. CIM DM: Alerts

[protect_alert]
search = eventtype=cylance_index sourcetype=audit_log

Event type two:. protect_malware. CIM DM: Malware -> Attacks

[protect_malware]
search = eventtype=cylance_index (sourcetype=console_syslog AND EventType=Threat) OR sourcetype=threat OR sourcetype=exploit

Event type three:. protect_inventory. CIM DMs: Inventory -> Network, Inventory -> OS, Inventory -> User

[protect_inventory]
search = eventtype=cylance_index (sourcetype=console_syslog AND EventType=Device) OR sourcetype=device

View solution in original post

0 Karma

darrenfuller
Contributor

Hi Shreedeep,

The TA has three CIM aligned Event Types:

Event type one:. protect_alert. CIM DM: Alerts

[protect_alert]

Event type two:. protect_malware. CIM DM: Malware -> Attacks

[protect_malware]
search = eventtype=cylance_index (sourcetype=console_syslog AND EventType=Threat) OR sourcetype=threat OR sourcetype=exploit

Event type three:. protect_inventory. CIM DMs: Inventory -> Network, Inventory -> OS, Inventory -> User

[protect_inventory]
search = eventtype=cylance_index (sourcetype=console_syslog AND EventType=Device) OR sourcetype=device

0 Karma

smitra_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Thank you!

0 Karma

smitra_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Just a follow-up based on observations of the eventtypes.conf , props.conf and transforms.conf --

The eventtypes.conf refer to sourcetype names that are slightly different from those that are being set by transforms.conf. Could this be a bug ?

transforms.conf derives these sourcetype names (below) which are used by props.conf -
syslog_audit_log, syslog_threat_classification, syslog_exploit, syslog_app_control, syslog_threat, syslog_device, syslog_device_control, syslog_script_control

eventtypes.conf refer to these sourcetype names (below)-
audit_log, console_syslog, threat, exploit, device

0 Karma

darrenfuller
Contributor

Not a bug.. look in the props.conf entry for syslog_protect sourcetype for example...

[syslog_protect]
TRANSFORMS-changesourcetype = set_auditlog_sourcetype
TRANSFORMS-changesourcetype2 = set_threatclassification_sourcetype
TRANSFORMS-changesourcetype3 = set_exploit_sourcetype
TRANSFORMS-changesourcetype4 = set_appcontrol_sourcetype
TRANSFORMS-changesourcetype5 = set_threat_sourcetype
TRANSFORMS-changesourcetype6 = set_device_sourcetype
TRANSFORMS-changesourcetype7 = set_devicecontrol_sourcetype
TRANSFORMS-changesourcetype8 = set_scriptcontrol_sourcetype

looking in the transforms.conf... set_auditlog_sourcetype looks like this:

[set_auditlog_sourcetype]
REGEX = Event\sType:\s+AuditLog
FORMAT = sourcetype::syslog_audit_log
DEST_KEY = MetaData:Sourcetype

So , they reroute the syslog_* sourcetypes to others based on regex matching.

0 Karma

smitra_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I'm trying to dry run this ...

based on the log excerpt below ... (redacted IPs and usernames)
"Oct 3 09:18:00 ec2-xx-xx-xxx-xx.compute-1.amazonaws.com 1 2017-10-03T14:17:59.8346483Z sysloghost CylancePROTECT - - - Event Type: AuditLog, Event Name: LoginSuccess, Message: Provider: CylancePROTECT, Source IP: yyy.yyy.yy.yyy, User: John Doe (jdoe@foo.com)"

... the transforms.conf will set the sourcetype to syslog_audit_log , right ?
But the eventtypes.conf definition refers to it as "audit_log". Correct me if I'm wrong.
[protect_alert]
priority = 5

0 Karma

darrenfuller
Contributor

OK... I took a deeper look at the app and you're correct, something doesn't jive.

eventtypes has this:

[cylance_index]
search = index=protect OR index=cylance_protect

[protect_alert]
priority = 5

[protect_malware]
priority = 5

[protect_inventory]
priority = 5

on each of the protect_* searches, it has all of them looking at sourcetype=console_syslog, with eventtype, or looking at (exploit|device) by themselves.. not looking at syslog_exploit or syslog_device.. etc.

you're gonna have to do some minor surgery to fix this,. (Be a peach & advise the dev as well. )

0 Karma

smitra_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I'm working around this bug/glitch/typo in the Cylance TA with modifying the eventtypes.conf with a copy in the local dir.

The bigger change will be in the Cylance App which has queries using with mixed sourcetypes - i.e. audit_log and syslog_autid_log etc. I'm going to inform the App developer.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...