All Apps and Add-ons

Customize Dashboard Visualization using Splunk Cloud Gateway

tomasofacci
Explorer

Hi, is it any possible way to customize dashboard visualization using Splunk Cloud Gateway? I know that you can select the Apps to be seen on all granted mobile devices, but if'd like to let an App be seen only on a specific mobile device and not on another? Is it any way to set-up this feature? With the old mobile app this was possible because login used the user-id, but now that you have the device id how can I do it?

Thanks and regards

0 Karma
1 Solution

nickhills
Ultra Champion

The dashboards a device can "see" are tied to the role permissions of the user who specified when that device was added.

When you add a new device, the wizard asks you for the device ID, provides the verification code, and then prompts you to add the credentials of the user.
Make sure you use the user who owns that device (or a specific user for the device - maybe its an apple tv rather than a phone/tablet)
Then ensure that user can/cannot see the dashboard in question.

If my comment helps, please give it a thumbs up!

View solution in original post

0 Karma

nickhills
Ultra Champion

The dashboards a device can "see" are tied to the role permissions of the user who specified when that device was added.

When you add a new device, the wizard asks you for the device ID, provides the verification code, and then prompts you to add the credentials of the user.
Make sure you use the user who owns that device (or a specific user for the device - maybe its an apple tv rather than a phone/tablet)
Then ensure that user can/cannot see the dashboard in question.

0 Karma

tomasofacci
Explorer

That's fine, just another question. The user's credential used to add a new device what kind of capability needs to have? I tried with a simple user role but it didn't work, I tried again giving to the new user the admin role and I was able to add the new device.

Thanks and regards

0 Karma

nickhills
Ultra Champion

The user needs the role which is added when you install cloud gateway (I don’t have access to a system with it running at present) if I recall it’s called something like cloud-gateway-role.

You can modify the standard “user role” to inherit it, so all users get the required capability

0 Karma

tomasofacci
Explorer

It worked fine, now I've the last issue to fix. Once I've granted the device with the new user I'm not able see the dashboard visible only to a new role. That's the situation:

• I've created a new role XXX
  • I've created a new user YY and assigned the cloud-gateway-role and XXX role
  • I've created a new dashboard visible only to XXX role and added to the available app list of Cloud Gateway
  • I've granted my device using user YY

Using my device I can't see any dashboard.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

Splunk is officially part of Cisco

Revolutionizing how our customers build resilience across their entire digital footprint.   Splunk ...

Splunk APM & RUM | Planned Maintenance March 26 - March 28, 2024

There will be planned maintenance for Splunk APM and RUM between March 26, 2024 and March 28, 2024 as ...