All Apps and Add-ons

Create theHive Alert: update needed, does not work

mcbradfordwcb
Engager

Not sure if this works on Splunk 7.x. Documentation is poor. I cannot get it configured to send alerts.

When creating an alert, under actions, I am not seeing an action for this alert add-in.

Within the application description:

"Simply set your auth parameters in the Python script, tie in your URL, a field to use as a unique identifier for sourceRef, and any tags / severity / TLP you want!"

I found the python script, but I do not see where to enter "auth parameters"

Tie in your URL - where?

Tags (1)
0 Karma

karthicksplunk

Can anyone help me on this? I've tried using create_thehive_alert app and ta-thehive-ce app. but no luck, i'm not able to connect splunk with thehive. What are all the configurations needs to be done exactly?

0 Karma

FloSwiip
Path Finder

Hello,

First sorry as my message is not a direct answer to the topic

We use a lot splunk with TheHive in my company, for that I have spent many hours to "improve" this "for our usage".
And I think everyone can pick some info from that work, it is published here :
https://github.com/swiip81/create_thehive_alert

One of the main fix I have tried to implement is to allow a 'transparent' conversion from splunk fields ( key=value ) to TheHive observables ( type=value*s* ) which is in my opinion the crucial thing to master.

Hope it will be useful

craigswan
Explorer

That is great.

Funny timing, I just spent this morning doing pretty much the same thing as you except I made the original splunk field a tag (tags = [key],)

0 Karma

karthicksplunk

@FloSwiip can you help me on this? I've tried using create_thehive_alert app and ta-thehive-ce app. but no luck i'm not able to connect splunk with thehive. What are all the configurations needs to be done exactly?

0 Karma

FloSwiip
Path Finder

Hello Karthick,

I don't personally use the ta-thehive-ce only the create_thehive_alert from my github link, still in prod.

Main page is providing all the details to do the setup.

It should allow you to make it work

Regards

0 Karma

craigswan
Explorer

Disclaimer: I am a complete noob, I just installed splunk a couple of days ago.

The code would go here:
alt text

And you probably need to edit the permissions of alert to thehive app (under manage apps) to allow it to be visible to create alerts in other apps). I set mine to global.

Then you put the URL and other details under the alert:
alt text

mcbradfordwcb
Engager

Also, how do you call call the script (action). When creating alerts, you would typically click the Add Actions button, and pick the action from the "actions" the Hive action is not listed. There is an option to run a script, but there is a warning that this action is officially deprecated.

0 Karma

mcbradfordwcb
Engager

Craig - thanks for the updated notes.

A few more questions:

Where in the script does the URL of my hive instance go?

and where does all this go in the script:?

from random import *
min_char = 8
max_char = 8
allchar = string.ascii_letters + string.digits
sourceRef = "".join(choice(allchar) for x in range(randint(min_char, max_char))) #add random 8 character sourceRef

And commented out the "sourceRef = id"

0 Karma

derjosh

As far as I can see it goes in the alert trigger action in splunk

0 Karma

craigswan
Explorer

Hi,

I just set this up and got it working.

In the python script, the authentication username and password fields are in the line: response = requests.post(url, headers=headers, data=payload, auth=('username', 'password'), verify=False)

I also had to copy appIcon.png to thehive_logo_small.png under etc/apps/create_thehive_alert/appserver/static/ to fix the icon.

For my purposes, I did not have a good unique value for the sourceref. I then replaced that section of the python script.

I added imports for "random" and "string"
e.g. "import os, sys, json, gzip, csv, requests, random, string"

Then I added:
from random import *
min_char = 8
max_char = 8
allchar = string.ascii_letters + string.digits
sourceRef = "".join(choice(allchar) for x in range(randint(min_char, max_char))) #add random 8 character sourceRef

And commented out the "sourceRef = id"

I hope that helps

Cheers
Craig

mstjohn_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

hi @mcbradfordwcb,

Thanks for posting. However, could you provide more info about this problem? Configuration settings, what exactly is the app not doing correctly, etc. Not only will that give you a greater chance of having your question answered, it will also help us categorize the issue so others with similar problems can learn from it.

0 Karma

ppablo
Retired

Hi @mcbradfordwcb

Yeah, I just checked out the page for that app on Splunkbase, and looks like it was last updated on July 24, 2017 last year to be compatible with version 6.6.x. It was created by a 3rd party developer, so hopefully they see this and can help you out. Looking at that page, it was built by someone named Miles Neff. I hope you get the guidance you need soon.
https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/3642/

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...