All Apps and Add-ons

Correctly format Oracle logs in Apache Log4j

pdgill314
Path Finder

So I am attempting to perform some data hygiene maintenance on our environment, and one of the things I am doing is cleaning up Coldfusion logs. I have given the Coldfusion logs a sourcetype of log4j, which works mostly, but I found an odd issue in one of our application.log files. The log4j does not correctly format Oracle logs, so I end up with all the lines mixed into a mess, but it works for other errors.

Examples:

"Error","jrpp-328","11/10/17","16:54:48",,"File not found: /path/index.cfm The specific sequence of files included or processed is: D:\inetpub\wwwroot\path\path\index.cfm'' "

"Error","jrpp-328","11/10/17","16:51:30",,"Type: Database, Detail: [Macromedia][Oracle JDBC Driver][Oracle]ORA-00980: synonym translation is no longer valid , SQL: SELECT [redacted] FROM [redacted] JOIN [redacted] ON pe.strm = pc.strm AND pe.session_code = [redacted] AND pe.class_nbr = pc.class_nbr WHERE pc.location <> 'WEB' AND [redacted] = (param 1) AND [redacted] = 'E' AND pe.strm = (param 2) , Stack trace: coldfusion.tagext.sql.QueryTag$DatabaseQueryException: Error Executing Database Query. at coldfusion.tagext.sql.QueryTag.doEndTag(QueryTag.java:641) at cf[redacted]2ecfc628081670$func[redacted].runFunction(D:\inetpub\wwwroot\path\path\cfc[redacted].cfc:69) at coldfusion.runtime.UDFMethod.invoke(UDFMethod.java:472) at coldfusion.runtime.UDFMethod$ArgumentCollectionFilter.invoke(UDFMethod.java:368) at coldfusion.filter.FunctionAccessFilter.invoke(FunctionAccessFilter.java:55) at coldfusion.runtime.UDFMethod.runFilterChain(UDFMethod.java:321) at coldfusion.runtime.UDFMethod.invoke(UDFMethod.java:220) at coldfusion.runtime.CfJspPage._invokeUDF(CfJspPage.java:2582) ...

Is there a way to fix this in the props.conf or the transform.conf or inputs.conf, or it is just going to be a mess?

Thanks

0 Karma

sshelly_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee
I'd do the following in props.conf:
TIME_FORMAT=%m/%d/%y","%H:%M:%S
TIME_PREFIX=\d+","
BREAK_ONLY_BEFORE_DATE=true

Based on your sample, that should break events correctly. If not, can u paste more sample events?
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...