All Apps and Add-ons

Core count on Ubuntu 12.04.4 LTS

gunzola
Path Finder

In Splunk App for Unix and Linux cpu cores are shown in "hosts".
The core count is not correct.

As I can see, the count is made from this macro search:
apps/splunk_app_for_nix/install/SA-nix/default/macros.conf

[unix_nodes_detail_specs_cpu_by_host(1)]
args = host
definition = os_index cpu_sourcetype host=$host$ NOT cpu="all" | append [stats count | eval _raw="no results"] | head 100 | eval name="CPU:" | stats first(name) as name max(CPU) as cpus | eval cpus=if(isnum(cpus), tostring(cpus + 1) + " cores", "unknown - is cpu.sh enabled?")

I cannot find any information on this as a known problem anywhere. Can you help me out a bit here?

0 Karma
1 Solution

gunzola
Path Finder

Adding export LC_ALL="en_US.UTF-8 to $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/Splunk_TA_nix/bin/common.sh solved the issue.
Output of cpu.sh is now like this:

CPU pctUser pctNice pctSystem pctIowait pctIdle

all 4.04 0.00 1.01 0.00 94.95

0 4.04 0.00 1.01 0.00 94.950

..and the App seems to be working as expected.

View solution in original post

gunzola
Path Finder

Adding export LC_ALL="en_US.UTF-8 to $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/Splunk_TA_nix/bin/common.sh solved the issue.
Output of cpu.sh is now like this:

all 4.04 0.00 1.01 0.00 94.95

0 4.04 0.00 1.01 0.00 94.950

..and the App seems to be working as expected.

araitz
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Thanks, I'll file a bug for this.

0 Karma

MuS
Legend

Hi gunzola,

how is the count not correct? Is it showing no result at all or a wrong count like 4 instead of 8 CPU's? What is the result if you run the cpu.sh directly on this host like this (maybe the path needs some tweaking, take it out of my head):

$SPLUNK_HOME/bin/splunk cmd /$SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/SA-unix/bin/cpu.sh

does this show the correct count?
Some *inx systems need to install sysinfo utilities to get cpu.sh running.

hope this helps to get you going ...

cheers, MuS

gunzola
Path Finder

Splunk App for Unix 5.0.1
Splunk Add-on for *nix 5.0.2
I also did a downgrade to the Add-on version 5.0.1 (which is the version supplied along with the App). Same results.
We have a customer with the same issue - actually on CentOS-installation. I think I will ask Splunk Support for some assistance here.. and post any updates here of course.

0 Karma

tessalau

We're running into the same problem here. Splunk Add-on for *nix 5.2.3 and Splunk Universal Forwarder 6.5.2. I have 12 forwarder clients all running Ubuntu 14.04 and a third of them an incorrect value in the CPU field.

I checked the output of cpu.sh on two systems and they both output the CPU core number in the first column. However once this output is ingested into Splunk, only one of them has a valid number (or "all") in the CPU field. The other one has something like "48.0" in the CPU field, which appears to be a load average.

This makes us unable to compare CPU usage across hosts.

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The cpu.sh output's first column should be this:

CPU ...
all ...
0 ...

Instead, yours appears to be showing one of the pctNice or pctSystem columns... interesting. Run one of these two, the one present on your system is the input for cpu.sh:

sar -P ALL 1 1
mpstat -P ALL 1 1

What version of the app are you using?

0 Karma

gunzola
Path Finder

Currently it states in Splunk For Unix-appn that my instance has "71.00 cores"
just as this search also returns 71.00 cores:
index=os source=cpu host=palle-virtual-machine NOT cpu="all" | append [stats count | eval _raw="no results"] | head 100 | eval name="CPU:" | stats first(name) as name max(CPU) as cpus | eval cpus=if(isnum(cpus), tostring(cpus + 1) + " cores", "unknown - is cpu.sh enabled?")

0 Karma

gunzola
Path Finder

Output of cpu.sh
~/splunk/bin$ ./splunk cmd ../etc/apps/Splunk_TA_nix/bin/cpu.sh
1.01 0.00 1.01 1.01 0.00 96.97
1.01 0.00 1.01 1.01 0.00 96.97

cat /proc/cpuinfo | fgrep -c processor

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

As a most basic check, you could run this:

cat /proc/cpuinfo | fgrep -c processor
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...