All Apps and Add-ons

Constant "Loading" After Adding Radio Buttons

_gkollias
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

After adding radio buttons to a panel of text boxes for searching, there is this constant loading which is permitting me from running any values through the text boxes and populating a table below. The radio buttons are not fully configured, but there shouldn't be a problem with creating a layout for how I'd like the buttons to look with the other panel. Here is was the dashboard looks like so far:

http://screencast.com/t/SQK8Ms9laGVq <--Notice the "Loading..." message.

Here is a sample of my XML:

<module name="Radio" layoutPanel="panel_row1_col1_grp1">
    <param name="valueField">value</param>
    <param name="labelField">label</param>
    <param name="name">test3</param>
    <param name="staticRadios">
      <list>     
        <param name="value">staticValue1</param>
        <param name="label">PO </param>
      </list>
       <list>    
        <param name="value">staticValue2</param>
        <param name="label">POR</param>
      </list>
      <list>     
        <param name="label">ASN</param>
      </list>
      <list>     
        <param name="label">Invoice</param>
      </list>
      </param>

<module name="TextField" layoutPanel="panel_row1_col1_grp2" autoRun="False">
            <param name="width">200px</param>
            <param name="name">entered_ctg_cust_num</param>
            <param name="label">Customer Number:</param>

The remaining is basically the remaining text boxes, the search, followed by the table,drilldown, etc:

results

results
row

cg_txn_detail
$click.fields.Context ID$

Nothing looks out of the ordinary, but maybe a second pair of eyes would help. Any idea on what could be causing this "Loading..."?

Thanks In Advance!

1 Solution

sideview
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I think the answer is that the Radio button is configured to render some radio buttons dynamically, ie from search results (note valueField and labelField params in Radio module)

but that there's probably no autoRun="True" at the top of the view to kick off that initial search.

What happens in such a case is the Radio button waits patiently for the search rendering its dynamic radios to appear, but it never comes. (And it keep a little "Loading..." text displayed there to tell the user that the dynamic radios are still coming)

What I recommend is having a single autoRun="true" at the top of the hierarchy. Then if you don't want the main search on the page to actually submit when the page loads, set allowAutoSubmit to false on the Button module. This will allow the autoRun push to populate any form elements at the top, but it'll block the autoRun push at the Button, hence the main search(es) will wait for the user to submit the form.

Also I see an autoRun="False" in there which does nothing. In general autoRun is super confusing and what can clear it up is taking 10 mins to watch this video. ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Onol4w4NnnM ) it gives you an overview of how the advanced xml framework actually works as a whole, and it can clear up some nearly-universal misconceptions.

View solution in original post

sideview
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I think the answer is that the Radio button is configured to render some radio buttons dynamically, ie from search results (note valueField and labelField params in Radio module)

but that there's probably no autoRun="True" at the top of the view to kick off that initial search.

What happens in such a case is the Radio button waits patiently for the search rendering its dynamic radios to appear, but it never comes. (And it keep a little "Loading..." text displayed there to tell the user that the dynamic radios are still coming)

What I recommend is having a single autoRun="true" at the top of the hierarchy. Then if you don't want the main search on the page to actually submit when the page loads, set allowAutoSubmit to false on the Button module. This will allow the autoRun push to populate any form elements at the top, but it'll block the autoRun push at the Button, hence the main search(es) will wait for the user to submit the form.

Also I see an autoRun="False" in there which does nothing. In general autoRun is super confusing and what can clear it up is taking 10 mins to watch this video. ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Onol4w4NnnM ) it gives you an overview of how the advanced xml framework actually works as a whole, and it can clear up some nearly-universal misconceptions.

_gkollias
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Thanks for your response! I'm testing this out now.

0 Karma

_gkollias
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

No - I upgraded the app to its most recent version.

0 Karma

sideview
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Is it possible you're on a really old version of Sideview Utils? Radio was added in 2.4.5 in April of 2013, but there are still some people out there who still only have 1.3.5 just because Splunkbase tells them 1.3.5 is the latest version.

( As of a couple years ago you can only get the latest Sideview Utils from the Sideview website - http://sideviewapps.com/apps/sideview-utils )

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...