All Apps and Add-ons

Configure JMX to provide queue utilization information for ActiveMQ

robinson
Path Finder

We installed and configured jmx for splunk to help track java resource utilization in our application. among other things, we want to monitor utilization of ActiveMQ queues. The documentation suggests we can configure config.xml to provide Queue information only out of the activemq package with a stanza like this:

Unfortunately, this results in NO records for the org.apache.activemq domain getting indexed. We successfully index records from the domain in question with this stanza:

However, this results in jmx getting more records indexed into splunk than the rest of my installation combined. This blows my indexing quota. Please help!

Damien_Dallimor
Ultra Champion

You have typos in your MBean declaration.Property keys are case sensitive.

<mbean domain="org.apache.activemq" properties="BrokerName=default,Type=Queue,Destination=*" dumpAllAttributes="true"/>

alt text

Damien_Dallimor
Ultra Champion

please accept the answer then.

robinson
Path Finder

thanks for that answer. this addressed my issue brilliantly.

0 Karma

renems
Communicator

It seems like you don't get any output at all for your Active MQ queues. That it's not even there while you dump all attributes, is confirming this. Since you don't get any output, it makes sense it isn't indexed in splunk. I suggest posting in the apache forum how to get your activeMQ JMX data first.

0 Karma

Damien_Dallimor
Ultra Champion

see my answer. you have not configured your mbean object name correctly.if you configure the name correctly , you'll get just the information you require without sucking every bit and byte from the parent mbean domain.

0 Karma

robinson
Path Finder

thanks for your response, but you have misunderstood the problem. i had hoped it would be clear from my original post that the main issue here is that when i dump all attributes for properties=* i get more data than i can handle, in the sense that my license quota gets exceeded.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...