All Apps and Add-ons

Common Information Model (CIM) Performance Tuning

kernand0
Loves-to-Learn

Hello. 

Our organization has one of our Data Model (DM) searches for ES regularly running over 200 seconds to complete.  Soon another source will be added to the DM, so I have been looking for ways to reduce the runtime.  

I came across a site that suggested the macros that build the CIM DM's could be faster by adding the sourcetype alongside the index in the search.  My thought was, "Why stop there?"  You could add the source too, as long as it doesn't iterate with a date or some random number scheme.  And even then, with reasonable wildcarding at the end I believe there would be a performance improvement.

I was told that this effort is unnecessary, even though in my unofficial tests over the same period, I found my modified searches to nearly twice as fast.  So aside from the additional effort to build those searches and maintain them, why is this unnecessary?  

Thanks
AJ

Labels (2)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...