All Apps and Add-ons

Coloring Pie Chart created using JSchart in sideview Utils

0waste_splunk
Communicator

I create a piechart that has these results in tabular form.

Type              count

1 Very High    140

2 Not rated    14

3 Medium      20

4 Low            25

5 High           200

It has 5 values, Very High, Not Rated, Medium, Low, High.
In the above example, I would like to color it so that Not rated is green, Very High is pink, Medium is yellow, Low is grey and High is Red

I have tried different method to color

<module name="HiddenChartFormatter">
  <param name="chart">pie</param>
  <param name="charting.fieldColors">"HIGH":0xFF0000,"MEDIUM":0xFFFF00,"LOW":0x545454",VERY-HIGH":0xFF8300,"NOT_RATED":0x00FF00}</param>

Above code does not work with JSChart on Pie chart.

<module name="HiddenChartFormatter">
  <param name="charting.legend.labels">[High, Medium, Low, Very High, Not rated]</param>
  <param name="charting.seriesColors">[0xFF0000,0xFFFF00,0x545454",0xFF8300,0x00FF00]</param>

seriesColors does not tie a color to a value, so in the above piechart if any value missing will mess up whole color in the piechart.

Note: Not all the time these 5 value is present for specific case.

Am I doing something wrong?

0waste_splunk
Communicator

@nick,

Thanks for prompt response.

My piechart itself generated from postProcess module. and when i append the query code to my postprocess it didn't display anything.

also I don't want any value to show up on the piechart if it has 0 value.

0 Karma

sideview
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

It's a shortcoming in JSChart, in that JSChart doesn't implement the fieldColors property.

as a result, you need to do two things.

1) On the charting param side, you need to have both the charting.seriesColors key and the charting.legend.labels key set. (You have already figured this part out)

<param name="charting.seriesColors">[0xFF0000,0xFFFF00,0x545454",0xFF8300,0x00FF00]</param>
<param name="charting.legend.labels">[Info, Low, Medium, High, Critical, Fatal]</param>

2) on the search language side, to prevent any of the categories from ever dissappearing from the results, add the following search syntax. You can either tack it onto the end of your existing search, or have it present as a postProcess search. This extra piece of search language will ensure that all 6 categories are always present even if the counts for them are 0.

| append [| stats count | eval Type=split("High,Medium,Low,Very High,Not rated",",") | mvexpand Type] | stats sum(count) as count by Type

Note: this topic has come up a couple times before, although never afaik with a comprehensive answer: http://answers.splunk.com/answers/84459/colouring-piecharts-created-using-jschart

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...