All Apps and Add-ons

Cisco Networks app does not interpret Mnemonic and facility. How to fix

steadye

We installed the Cisco Networks App. However it does not seem to recognize any syslog messages.

It does recognize the unique devices and number of events. At the top mnemonics by time it shows a graph only with mnemonics NULL.
All other graphs on the dashboard are not filled.

Example for the MAC flapping graph:

our syslog message is:
Feb 06 12:22:18 zt5c1-vdc-otv %L2FM-4-L2FM_MAC_MOVE: Mac 0000.0c07.ac66 in vlan 888 has moved from Po305 to Eth3/14
host = zt5c1-vdc-otv source = E:\Syslogd\Logs\zt5c1-vdc-otv sourcetype = cisco:ios

The query on the graph should be:
sourcetype=cisco:ios eventtype="cisco_ios-mac_flapping" | table _time, host, facility, mnemonic, src_mac, src_vlan, src_interface, dest_interface

The event-type cisco_ios-mac_flapping is defined as:
sourcetype=cisco:ios (mnemonic=MACFLAP_NOTIF OR mnemonic=HOSTFLAPPING) OR (facility=MAC_MOVE mnemonic=NOTIF)

In the interesting fields I don't see mnemonic or facility field.

So any help appreciated...

0 Karma
1 Solution

mikaelbje
Motivator

Good morning,

What kind of Syslog server do you use? Normally the syslog server appends a timestamp (the time the event was received on the server) which results in two timestamps in the event. This is a requirement for the app to work correctly. You can make it work in other ways, but several dashboards will render useless information, so I suggest you change some settings on your syslog server.

Here's the output from your server:

Feb 06 12:22:18 zt5c1-vdc-otv %L2FM-4-L2FM_MAC_MOVE: Mac 0000.0c07.ac66 in vlan 888 has moved from Po305 to Eth3/14

Here's from another server:

Feb  4 14:29:40 hostname.example.com 22676: Feb  4 14:30:17: %PARSER-5-CFGLOG_LOGGEDCMD: User:olanordmann  logged command:management-interface Tunnel1 allow ssh

Do you see the difference? My example has the following prefixed:

Feb  4 14:29:40 hostname.example.com 22676:

This translates into:

I believe your syslog server removes some of this information. This is likely something you can change in the server settings.

Why do we need these fields?

• Timestamp of reception: Allows you to check if the device's time is set incorrectly by calculating the reception time against the device time
  • Hostname of sender: Provides the hostname in the event.
  • Event ID: This is an incrementing field/serial allowing us to get the order of events in order to create transactions, i.e. for configuration change management.
  • Device Time: Timestamp of device

View solution in original post

0 Karma

mikaelbje
Motivator

Good morning,

What kind of Syslog server do you use? Normally the syslog server appends a timestamp (the time the event was received on the server) which results in two timestamps in the event. This is a requirement for the app to work correctly. You can make it work in other ways, but several dashboards will render useless information, so I suggest you change some settings on your syslog server.

Here's the output from your server:

Here's from another server:

Feb  4 14:29:40 hostname.example.com 22676: Feb  4 14:30:17: %PARSER-5-CFGLOG_LOGGEDCMD: User:olanordmann  logged command:management-interface Tunnel1 allow ssh

Do you see the difference? My example has the following prefixed:

Feb  4 14:29:40 hostname.example.com 22676:

This translates into:

I believe your syslog server removes some of this information. This is likely something you can change in the server settings.

Why do we need these fields?

• Timestamp of reception: Allows you to check if the device's time is set incorrectly by calculating the reception time against the device time
  • Hostname of sender: Provides the hostname in the event.
  • Event ID: This is an incrementing field/serial allowing us to get the order of events in order to create transactions, i.e. for configuration change management.
  • Device Time: Timestamp of device
0 Karma

steadye

OK, we are using kiwi syslog servers at this moment.
I will look into that if we can add the timestamp fields.

0 Karma

steadye

THX...

That did the job, in KIWI there is an option to remove cisco timestamps in the log entry. So i disabled that entry and the Facility en mnemonic and severity fields are displayed and are now filling the graphs..

thx for your support on this..

0 Karma

mikaelbje
Motivator

You're welcome. A great way to thank me is clicking accept answer or voting the answer 🙂

I hope the app is of use to you.

0 Karma

steadye

goodmorning..

I do see the eventype field with cisco_ios,cisco_connection, cisco_authentication.
Also other fields like src_interface, authenticator, date etc

But I don't see the facility, mnemonic or severity id. fields.

0 Karma

mikaelbje
Motivator

Did you install the Cisco Networks Add-On? https://apps.splunk.com/app/1467

Put that on your search head + indexers.

0 Karma

steadye

Hello Mikael,

Yes i had installed the add-on and also upgraded the add-on to 2.2.0.

0 Karma

mikaelbje
Motivator

Is this a fresh install? Do you have anything in the local/ dirs in the app? If so delete the contrnts of that dir. Did you restart the search head?

0 Karma

steadye

At this moment I'am going to do a fresh install. We use the index called main.

0 Karma

steadye

I did a fresh install still the same behaviour.

In the app it is seeing the number of events, the unique devices, and a graph with top mnemonics by time where all is NULL.

In the inventory it displays the hosts and events.

All other graphs are empty. I would like the switching part to be working so the spanningtree and mac flaps etc.

any thoughts ??

0 Karma

mikaelbje
Motivator

Hmm - if you click on Search in the app's navigation menu and search for

sourcetype=cisco:ios

Do you see any fields in the field menu to the left? Facility, mnemonic, eventtype, severity_id etc?

Make sure search mode is set to Smart mode (the default)

0 Karma

mikaelbje
Motivator

Is the index you placed the logs in searched by default or do you have to specify an index when you seatch?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...