All Apps and Add-ons

Cisco ASA: How to display a table with information about start and end, and the total time of the user on the network?

Zhanali
Path Finder

Cisco ASA VPN monitoring:

I haven't been able to finish this case for a week now. I need to display a table with information about start and end, and the total time of the user on the network.

With the information that I collected and displayed in the table, it was like this:

sourcetype=cisco:asa message_id=722051 OR message_id=113019 OR message_id=722011 OR message_id=722037 OR message_id=722028 OR message_id=722010 zhanali
| eval session_info = case((message_id = "113019" OR message_id = "722011" OR message_id = "722010"), "session_end",message_id="722051", "session_start",message_id="722037" OR message_id = "722028","session_close")
| eval start = if((session_info = "session_start"),_time,"null")
| eval end = if((session_info = "session_end"),_time,"null")
| eval close = if((session_info = "session_close"),_time,"null")
| table Cisco_ASA_user session_info start end close
| convert ctime(start) ctime(end) ctime(close)

Zhanali_0-1618570328123.png

I need to somehow leave one line from the close lines that appear sequentially. Better to leave the first in time.

Zhanali_1-1618571514377.png

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

Zhanali
Path Finder

Hi all! I forgot about this post. I decided with the simplest way, the start of the session is determined using the duration. Because I learned about the logs that the duration is sent when the session really was.

index="cisco_syslog" sourcetype="cisco:asa" message_id=113019 
| eval start_time =_time-duration, end_time = _time 
| sort -start_time
| table dvc group user src_ip start_time end_time duration
| eval duration = tostring(duration, "duration")
| convert timeformat="%H:%M:%S %d.%m.%Y" ctime(start_time) ctime(end_time)

View solution in original post

0 Karma

Zhanali
Path Finder

Hi all! I forgot about this post. I decided with the simplest way, the start of the session is determined using the duration. Because I learned about the logs that the duration is sent when the session really was.

index="cisco_syslog" sourcetype="cisco:asa" message_id=113019 
| eval start_time =_time-duration, end_time = _time 
| sort -start_time
| table dvc group user src_ip start_time end_time duration
| convert timeformat="%H:%M:%S %d.%m.%Y" ctime(start_time) ctime(end_time)

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The events are currently separate events in the pipeline - is there anything in the data that can be used to correlate the events to determine if more than one close event is present? Or do you simply want to use _time to sequence the events?

sourcetype=cisco:asa message_id=722051 OR message_id=113019 OR message_id=722011 OR message_id=722037 OR message_id=722028 OR message_id=722010 zhanali
| eval session_info = case((message_id = "113019" OR message_id = "722011" OR message_id = "722010"), "session_end",message_id="722051", "session_start",message_id="722037" OR message_id = "722028","session_close")
| table Cisco_ASA_user session_info start end close
| sort _time
| streamstats values(session_info) as previous_session_info current=f window=2
| where previous_session_info != "session_close" OR session_info != "session_close"
0 Karma

NitLino

Hello Zhanali, 

I am also building something similar. were you able to complete your syntax?

0 Karma

Zhanali
Path Finder
sourcetype=cisco:asa message_id=722051 OR message_id=113019 OR message_id=722011 OR message_id=722037 OR message_id=722028 OR message_id=722010 "MyUserName"
| eval session_info = case((message_id = "113019" OR message_id = "722011" OR message_id = "722010"), "session_end",message_id="722051", "session_start",(message_id="722037" OR message_id = "722028"),"session_close")
| sort - _time
| table _time Cisco_ASA_user session_info start end close duration

This issue was not resolved, but for this situation I found a way out.
If you look at the results of this query, it turns out that the event with duration field indicates a break of the session. This is what I used to calculate the session start time.

Zhanali_0-1646978643148.png

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...