All Apps and Add-ons

Chart of multiple data series

lukeh
Contributor

Hi,

I am trying to craft a search to chart bandwidth utilization across multiple switches and multiple interfaces, however I have run into a few issues:

1/ I can chart one switch with multiple interfaces, as per the example below... however if I want to add some additional fields to chart (eg. capacity, engineering_limit, & augmentation_limit) they are plotted multiple times per metric 😞
ie. those additional fields should only be plotted once, not for each interface (aka metric).

2/ Following on from above, I actually want to chart multiple switches with multiple interfaces, however timechart cannot accept multiple split-by-clause's 😞
I have tried using xyseries (as per http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Search/Chartmultipledataseries ) but I can't figure out how to use it with streamstats and at the same time plot the delta for the interface usage with a per_second calculation.

3/ The interfaces should actually be stacked, but this doesn't seem to work when using timechart with a split-by-clause 😞

I am running on Splunk 5.0.1. Any help is greatly appreciated 🙂

index=mediacap ( hostname="cht-cdn6506-1" ) ( metric="ifInOctets_port-channel2" OR metric="ifInOctets_port-channel3" ) 
| streamstats current=t global=f window=2 earliest(value) as curr latest(value) as next by metric 
| eval delta=next-curr 
| eval inkilobits=(delta*8/1000) 
| eval capacity=(( 47.3 )*1024*1024) 
| eval eng=(capacity*(( 90 )/100)) 
| eval aug=(capacity*(( 70 )/100)) 
| timechart span=5m per_second(inkilobits) as in_kbps
max(capacity) as capacity
max(eng) as eng
max(aug) as aug
by metric

chart screenshot

Thanks in advance,

Luke 🙂

0 Karma
1 Solution

jonuwz
Influencer

For the 1st part of the question, move this :

After the timechart command, and remove theis from the timechart command :

max(eng) as eng
max(aug) as aug

How exactly do you want the graph to look in 2 + 3 ?

For each time slice, have multiple columns representing the hosts, with each column having stacked interfaces ?

Not sure thats possible out the box.

Also, You'd need 2 Y axis on your graph to plot the 'capacity','aug' fields seperately to the stacked columns. See here

A quick way to have multiple switch/interfaces would be to start the search like this :

index=mediacap (metric="ifInOctets_port-channel2" OR metric="ifInOctets_port-channel3" ) | eval metric=hostname.":".metric | ...

View solution in original post

0 Karma

jonuwz
Influencer

For the 1st part of the question, move this :

After the timechart command, and remove theis from the timechart command :

max(eng) as eng
max(aug) as aug

How exactly do you want the graph to look in 2 + 3 ?

For each time slice, have multiple columns representing the hosts, with each column having stacked interfaces ?

Not sure thats possible out the box.

Also, You'd need 2 Y axis on your graph to plot the 'capacity','aug' fields seperately to the stacked columns. See here

A quick way to have multiple switch/interfaces would be to start the search like this :

index=mediacap (metric="ifInOctets_port-channel2" OR metric="ifInOctets_port-channel3" ) | eval metric=hostname.":".metric | ...
0 Karma

lukeh
Contributor

I was able to use 'addtotals' to get the combined total 🙂

Thanks again for your help Jon! You taught me a couple of things and put me on the right track to Ninjaville 😛

0 Karma

lukeh
Contributor

Thanks for your help Jon! Moving the evals for capacity, eng, & aug worked a treat... and combining the hostname & metric field into one is brilliant! We are almost there now 🙂

However, we are still using timechart with a split-by-clause on the new metric field... so can we stack them all together to show overall bandwidth usage for the port-channels across all relevant hostnames?

Here is the current screenshot: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1193777/splunk-media-poc3.png

What we need is all of the cht* and ken* metrics stacked to show overall bandwidth usage 🙂

Thanks in advance,

Luke.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...