All Apps and Add-ons

Character corruptions in Sideview Editor.

sunrise
Contributor

Hi Splunkers,

I'm using "Sideview Editor" as an internal use to create dashboards,
because it is really convenient.
But now I have a problem that Splunk dashboard does not stop loading like blow,
when I edit the existed dashboards including Japanese.
alt text

After that, I confirmed that a character set of the view(XML) file was changed.

Can I configure the character set of Sideview Apps in any configuration file ?

Thank you.

Added--
(Error Logs)
Splunk.Module.HTML.$.klass.initialize modules-f51b4e8721cae84e14949544d4e914d9.min.js:1994
(anonymous function) common.min.js:5824
klass common.min.js:5829
Splunk.ModuleLoader.$.klass.buildModuleInstanceList common.min.js:12074
Splunk.ModuleLoader.$.klass.setLoadPhase common.min.js:12039
Splunk.ModuleLoader.$.klass.initialize common.min.js:12032
klass common.min.js:5829
(anonymous function) init.js:39
deferred.resolveWith common.min.js:452
jQuery.extend.ready common.min.js:186
DOMContentLoaded common.min.js:401

1 Solution

sideview
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The problem has nothing to do with the Japanese characters you're inserting.

You said in your comment above that you've taken a non-Sideview view and added an HTML module. Well the HTML module is a Sideview module, and the one unbreakable rule about Sideview modules, is that if you use any Sideview modules in a view, you have to first insert the SideviewUtils module into the page somewhere. Typically you insert the invisible SideviewUtils module at the top out of the way.

So the problem isn't that the Editor itself broke, it's that by using the Editor to insert the HTML module without first inserting the SideviewUtils module, you broke the view and that's why the view isn't loading.

I get cases like this once in a while. I'll try to add some error detection to the Editor that prevents you from doing this.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

sideview
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The problem has nothing to do with the Japanese characters you're inserting.

You said in your comment above that you've taken a non-Sideview view and added an HTML module. Well the HTML module is a Sideview module, and the one unbreakable rule about Sideview modules, is that if you use any Sideview modules in a view, you have to first insert the SideviewUtils module into the page somewhere. Typically you insert the invisible SideviewUtils module at the top out of the way.

So the problem isn't that the Editor itself broke, it's that by using the Editor to insert the HTML module without first inserting the SideviewUtils module, you broke the view and that's why the view isn't loading.

I get cases like this once in a while. I'll try to add some error detection to the Editor that prevents you from doing this.

0 Karma

sunrise
Contributor

Thank you for helpful advice, sideview.
For the time being, I'll pay attention to that.

0 Karma

sunrise
Contributor

1) Sideview-utils style advanced XML dashboards?
No, it was originally normal advanced XML dashboard which is generated from simple XML dashboard by ?showsource=1.
I wanna add some modules to those dashboard with Sideview Editor.
Adding some modules(eg. HTML module), the dashboard screen on right below in Sideview Editor does not stop loading.
And Japanese in the edited advanced XML file is corrupted.

2) There are some erros in chrome browser.
I added these error logs to Questions.

3) Chrome, Firefox.

0 Karma

sideview
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hmm... I don't know of any problems putting japanese or chinese characters into the view with the Sideview Editor. It has always worked in my tests and I've had no other bug reports. However, if the page hangs with "Loading..." like that, it means there is a javascript error on page load, which sounds like something else.

1) Are these previously existing dashboards Sideview-utils style advanced XML dashboards?

2) Can you look for any javascript errors in the Error Console of your browser? (dont send CSS errors or JS warns, only JS errors.)

3) What browser are you using?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...