All Apps and Add-ons

Cannot disable field transformation

Mark_S

I am using the Splunk for Citrix NetScaler app, with somewhat mixed success. It seems that Citrix has changed some of their message formats over the versions. While I'm monitoring a NetScaler version that the Splunk app nominally supports, it mis-parses some of the messages.

I've tried to disable the transform that is mis-parsing the messages, and replace it with ones that match the messages, but the old one is still being used.

The app comes with a default transform for app firewall log messages. From splunk/etc/apps/SplunkforCitrixNetScaler/default/transforms.conf:

[ns_firewall_extract]
REGEX = APPFW\sAPPFW_(\S+)\s\d+\s+:\s+(\S+)\s(\S+)\s(\S+)\s(\S+)\s(.*)<(.*)\>
FORMAT = violation::$1 src_ip::$2 session_id::$3 profile::$4 url::$5 msg::$6 action::$7

I've written two transforms that match what the NetScaler is actually sending, and disabled the non-functioning one. From splunk/etc/apps/SplunkforCitrixNetScaler/local/transforms.conf:

[ns_firewall_extract]
disabled = 1
FORMAT = violation::$1 src_ip::$2 session_id::$3 profile::$4 url::$5 msg::$6 action::$7
REGEX = APPFW\sAPPFW_(\S+)\s\d+\s+:\s+(\S+)\s(\S+)\s(\S+)\s(\S+)\s(.*)<(.*)\>

[ns_firewall_extract_1]
CLEAN_KEYS = 1
FORMAT = violation::$1 src_ip::$2 profile::$3 msg::$4 url::$5 action::$6
MV_ADD = 0
REGEX = APPFW\sAPPFW_(STARTURL|DENYURL|BUFFEROVERFLOW_URL|BUFFEROVERFLOW_COOKIE|BUFFEROVERFLOW_HDR)\s\d+\s+:\s+(\S+)\s(\S+)\s(\.*):\s(.*)\s<(.*)\>

[ns_firewall_extract_2]
CLEAN_KEYS = 1
FORMAT = violation::$1 src_ip::$2 profile::$3 url::$4 msg::$5 action::$6
MV_ADD = 0
REGEX = APPFW\sAPPFW_(XSS|SQL|COOKIE|FIELDFORMAT|SAFECOMMERCE|SAFEOBJECT)\s\d+\s+\:\s+(S+)\s(S+)\s(\S+)\s(.*)<(.*)\>

And yet the messages are still being parsed into fields using the old definitions, that don't match our NetScaler version.

In case it's relevant, I haven't been editing the .conf files directly, but only through the web GUI.

0 Karma
1 Solution

Takajian
Builder

You are editing the configuration file "transforms.conf". I think you also need to edit the configuration file "props.conf". The stanza [ns_firewall_extract_1] or [ns_firewall_extract_2] are required to combine to the attribute in props.conf.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

Takajian
Builder

You are editing the configuration file "transforms.conf". I think you also need to edit the configuration file "props.conf". The stanza [ns_firewall_extract_1] or [ns_firewall_extract_2] are required to combine to the attribute in props.conf.

0 Karma

Mark_S

Thank you, that fixed the problem I was having!

It also highlighted that I'm out of practice at regexes - I had to fix about three errors in those two small regexes...

Incidentally, I had to edit the file manually - when I tried to change the entry in props.conf using the GUI (Manager - Fields - Field Extractions) I got an error message every time I tried to save the changes. I got the same error message if I tried to save the existing configuration without changes. I'm not sure what that implies...

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...