All Apps and Add-ons

Can you collect file access audit logs from VNX without Common Event Enabler (CEE)?

jhollfelder_spl
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Is it possible to collect file access audit logs from a VNX5400 for CIFS file shares without the use of Common Event Enabler (CEE)?

I know that we're able to enable and collect this information from Isilon without an additional license and can send the data directly to syslog which we can then pick up with a Splunk forwarder and send along to the indexers. It would be awesome if we were able to do something similar for VNX. Unfortunately I lack access to a VNX environment to do further investigation and testing. Thanks for any insight and help you can provide.

0 Karma

ralphwu15

VNX requires CEE to collect audit logs. I would have expected to just be able to collect remote event logs through WMI, but it just fails when I try to connect to the CIFS server running on the VNX. I only had a VNX running file OE 7.1 to test with though. I'll have to check on the functionality with the newer Unity arrays to see if it is any different.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...