All Apps and Add-ons

Can the Splunk for Excel Export app be used with dashboards/panels built using Splunk out of the box features in Simple XML?

newbie2tech
Communicator

Hi All,

I have couple of questions related to Splunk Excel export app.

Can the excel export app be used with the dashboards/panels which are built using splunk out of the box features in xml format?

I have been able to use the Excel export app with the dashboards/panels built using Sideview utils app.

However i have bunch of dashboards/panels which are built using xml and DO NOT make use of any Sideview utils app.

Can you share some sample example as to how we can incorporate excel export in normal dashboards/panels?

Can you also share any documentation/sample examples if any available around this? I didn't find much on the splunk documentation site.

Probably this is basic question, but i wanted to put it out here while i continue to explore options of how this can be achieved.

Below is sample mock up code for 1 of my panels which ....

<dashboard>
<label>Employee Breakdown by Department</label>
<row>
<panel>
      <table>
       <search>
          <query>index=employee_data | stats count(employee_id) by Department</query>
          <earliest>-24h</earliest>
          <latest>now</latest>
        </search>
      </table>
   </panel>
  </row>
</dashboard>

How can we add excel export code to the above example such that i can see the excel export button and export the employee data.

Thank you in advance.

1 Solution

davidpaper
Contributor

As a follow-up, here is what it looks like if you integrate entirely via Simple XML (using the new search event handler available in Splunk Enterprise 6.3) with the Splunk for Excel Export App installed.

Note that the link to export will only be displayed when the search is done (otherwise, it is hidden).

<dashboard>
  <label>Test Excel</label>
  <row>
    <panel>
      <chart>
        <title>Top Sourcetypes</title>
        <search>
          <query>index=_internal | top sourcetype</query>
          <earliest>-24h@h</earliest>
          <latest>now</latest>
          <done>
            <set token="search_sid">$job.sid$</set>
          </done>
        </search>
        <option name="charting.chart">bar</option>
        <option name="charting.legend.placement">right</option>
      </chart>
      <html depends="$search_sid$">
        <a href="/custom/excel_export/excel/$search_sid$">Export to Excel</a>
      </html>
    </panel>
  </row>
</dashboard>

Kudos to Nick Filippi for this solution.

View solution in original post

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Updated Team Landing Page in Splunk Observability

We’re making some changes to the team landing page in Splunk Observability, based on your feedback. The ...

New! Splunk Observability Search Enhancements for Splunk APM Services/Traces and ...

Regardless of where you are in Splunk Observability, you can search for relevant APM targets including service ...

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...