All Apps and Add-ons

Can the Splunk App for Stream log the ciphers negotiated during a TLS handshake to detect when a LogJam attack has occurred?

cygnetix
Path Finder

Anyone know if Splunk Stream can log the ciphers negotiated during a TLS handshake? I'm thinking about using it to detect when a LogJam (CVE-2015-4000) attack has occurred.

I can't see anything relevant listed for SSL/ TLS in the doco, but I figure it doesn't hurt to ask: http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/StreamApp/6.2.2/DeployStreamApp/Whattypeofdatadoesthisappcollec...

0 Karma
1 Solution

mdickey_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

It looks like our docs are missing several of the SSL fields available in TCP flow events. Give this query a try:

sourcetype=stream:tcp ssl_signature_algorithm=* | stats count by ssl_signature_algorithm

View solution in original post

mdickey_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

It looks like our docs are missing several of the SSL fields available in TCP flow events. Give this query a try:

sourcetype=stream:tcp ssl_signature_algorithm=* | stats count by ssl_signature_algorithm

vlado
Engager

This search works but I have a large number of hits where ssl_signature_algorithm is not populated ie. is empty.

Any idea why?

0 Karma

mdickey_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I believe it is only populated when there is a new SSL session/handshake. So, it will be empty for subsequent TCP flows that re-use previously negotiated session keys.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...