All Apps and Add-ons

Can the Cisco Network App for Splunk Enterprise use input from Syslog-ng instead of having Splunk as a syslog target?

markschoonover
Explorer

Thanks for reading. We use Syslog-NG for our Cisco devices to push syslog messages to. I've read the directions on installation and the help file states Cisco devices need to have Splunk as a syslog target. Can the app use input from syslog-ng instead? If so, how would this be configured?

1 Solution

mikaelbje
Motivator

Sure, just set up a monitor stanza to read the log files generated by syslog-ng.

I.e.
[monitor:///var/log/remote/cisco_ios/*/syslog]
host_segment = 5
sourcetype = cisco:ios

If the logs are not already identified as IOS events and placed in their own directory such as in the example, replace sourcetype = cisco:ios with sourcetype = syslog
The Add-on will then take care of changing the sourcetype

View solution in original post

0 Karma

mikaelbje
Motivator

Sure, just set up a monitor stanza to read the log files generated by syslog-ng.

I.e.
[monitor:///var/log/remote/cisco_ios/*/syslog]
host_segment = 5
sourcetype = cisco:ios

If the logs are not already identified as IOS events and placed in their own directory such as in the example, replace sourcetype = cisco:ios with sourcetype = syslog
The Add-on will then take care of changing the sourcetype

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...