All Apps and Add-ons

Can Splunk help me find out who has read a specific email (Exchange)

aleem
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

We send a company newsletter out to thousands of employees. We would like to know who has read the newsletter. It is simply embedded in an email. Newsletter read means the email status goes from 'unread' to 'read'.

I would hope to present the email ID for the newsletter email to the exchange server and it would give me a list of who has read it or at least a count of who has read it.

Wondering if the App for Microsoft Exchange would do the job or if there is another way.

Thanks
Aleem

Be the best version of you
0 Karma

sheamus69
Communicator

Hi Aleem,

I think that outlook/exchange effectively treat read receipts as an email, so you might be able to search for those messages specifically in the mail logs?

This would assume (yeah, i know ass-u-me!) That end users hadn't turned off reply to read receipts in outlook...

Gareth

0 Karma

aleem
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi Garth,
We are avoiding read receipts 😉

I guess that the marking of an email from being 'unread' to 'read' is an event with Exchange. I have no idea where this would be 'recorded'. Splunk seems ideal for this depending what it has access to.

Thanks
Aleem

0 Karma

sheamus69
Communicator

I haven't supported Exchange since the 5.5 days (the dark ages) - but this seems to suggest its doable if the correct level of auditing is turned on.

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

post a sample of an "email read" log/event.

0 Karma

aleem
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi Greg,
I don't have a log at this point. I am not even sure what log files might exist as I have no knowledge around Exchange. I am trying to figure out if Splunk would be able to help me by interrogating Exchange.

Thanks
Aleem

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...