All Apps and Add-ons

Can I use Splunk App for Windows Infrastructure without AD access?

Hudond
Path Finder

Good Morning

Not sure if this is an answerable question.

I am investigating using the Splunkbase "Splunk App for Windows Infrastructure" to gather resource information from our servers for management purposes. I like the interface and it is very informative for us.

The one issue I have is we cannot connect our Splunk deployment to AD (Active Directory) because it is a managed solution exterior to our organization. We have access to our servers as needed, but the support infrastructure behind the servers is outside of our purview.

That said, is there a way to edit the "Splunk App for Windows Infrastructure" so that the server information (names, etc.) is not extracted from AD, but maybe from a file?

I am fairly new to Splunk so this is a bit of a learning curve.

Thank you,

Dan

0 Karma
1 Solution

wyfwa4
Communicator

Yes, it is possible to use the app "Splunk App for Windows Infrastructure" without AD access. The app covers a wide range of data collection of which AD is just one type of data. The dashboards will just be empty for those items you do not collect data from.

The app itself does not collect data, for that you need the Splunk Add-on for Windows (https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/742/). This app contains all the data collection options and you need to determine which are enabled or disabled. I believe these are all disabled by default - so you need to specifically decide which to enable.

The Add-One for windows would be installed on all the servers that you need to collect data from (deployed within a Splunk forwarder if collecting from hosts other than the Splunk server) and the Splunk App for Windows Infrastructure is installed on the Splunk server only. The app provides the data processing logic and dashboards, while the add-on simply collects the data.

You can think of these apps as a starter-pack to show what can be collected and how the data can be presented in Shell - but can be quite daunting with such a wide range of possible data sources. I tend to use my own data collection apps based to keep the collection configurations simple and easier to maintain. For example if you want to collect Windows event logs - the process is covered here - https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.0.3/Data/MonitorWindowseventlogdata

View solution in original post

wyfwa4
Communicator

Yes, it is possible to use the app "Splunk App for Windows Infrastructure" without AD access. The app covers a wide range of data collection of which AD is just one type of data. The dashboards will just be empty for those items you do not collect data from.

The app itself does not collect data, for that you need the Splunk Add-on for Windows (https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/742/). This app contains all the data collection options and you need to determine which are enabled or disabled. I believe these are all disabled by default - so you need to specifically decide which to enable.

The Add-One for windows would be installed on all the servers that you need to collect data from (deployed within a Splunk forwarder if collecting from hosts other than the Splunk server) and the Splunk App for Windows Infrastructure is installed on the Splunk server only. The app provides the data processing logic and dashboards, while the add-on simply collects the data.

You can think of these apps as a starter-pack to show what can be collected and how the data can be presented in Shell - but can be quite daunting with such a wide range of possible data sources. I tend to use my own data collection apps based to keep the collection configurations simple and easier to maintain. For example if you want to collect Windows event logs - the process is covered here - https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.0.3/Data/MonitorWindowseventlogdata

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...