All Apps and Add-ons

Can I install the Splunk ODBC driver on my Windows PC and access data from Splunk on a Linux server?

josefa123
Explorer

I have installed Splunk Enterprise on a Linux server. I need to connect it to Tableau for graphing and reporting. I know that Splunk ODBC driver only runs on windows OS. I just want to ask, can I install the ODBC driver on my Windows pc that accesses Splunk on the linux server? Can I still get the data? Or it is proprietary that ODBC driver and Splunk should be on the same system? Thanks

0 Karma

esix_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

This is designed to be installed on Windows and connect remotely to Splunk. The only thing to consider is that you need to have network connectivity to (typically) TCP/8089 on the Splunk Server or Search Head. All of the odbc calls are routed through that port.

josefa123
Explorer

so to make it clearer, it can be right?

0 Karma

javiergn
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Yes. Tableau will see Splunk as another database and will display the relevant reports your tableau user has access to as tables

0 Karma

josefa123
Explorer

Additional question, do I need to make Tableau and ODBC driver on the same machine? Because I think I'm gonna use Tableau Server which is installed on a linux machine but the ODBC only installs on windows. Is it required to be on the same machine?

0 Karma

esix_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Typically, end users use tableau on their workstations. The connectivity to Splunk is not server to server, but client to server. So the odbc driver needs to be on the client end point and the client connects to the Splunk server and the Tableau server.

0 Karma

josefa123
Explorer

Do I still need ODBC driver when I am using Tableau 8.2? I've read before that Tableau already integrated Splunk on version 8.1 and doesn't need the ODBC driver for it to work.

0 Karma

esix_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Don't know on this part, post your results and let us know.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...