All Apps and Add-ons

Can I install Splunk DB Connect 2 on universal forwarders? If yes, what is the process?

veerender

I am trying to connect to an Oracle database and am trying to install Splunk DB Connect on the search head, but as the data is very large, I want to install this on universal forwarders. Can anyone help on this?

0 Karma
1 Solution

bsherwoodofdapt
Explorer

Old question, but I'll toss on my response.

Setup a 'Heavy Forwarder'. It is a full enterprise 6.x server, but you trim it back so that Search isn't used. You can set it to 'index and forward', then pump your database server (DB Connect) data into it and have Splunk forward that to the far side (where ever that may be, even if it is only 6 inches away).

This lets your search head be search heads, and your data gatherer (forwarder) do the hard work on a different box.

For a lot of people the idea of 'more boxes' is uncomfortable. If you have a small shop and not a lot of data you want to bring into Splunk, then an all in one box, or a combo Search Head / DB Connect box can work. As the value of that searchable data out paces the single boxes ability to keep up, you may be able to find the budget for more servers. Remember that you are paying for capacity. So all these extra forwarders and search heads have a smaller price than you might have realized. Plus, you might find the size of a forwarder is a lot smaller then the big box you have your indexer running one.

My first 'production data' box was a single all in one with DB Connect pulling data every 60 seconds from a logging database on MS SQL Server. But it doesn't have much else going into it so it works just fine.

My latest stack will use a distributed model to deal with the influx of data. I am looking at 7 different Heavy Forwarders running a variant of what my 'all in one' box was doing (in 7 different environments), plus a whole lot of servers pushing data into HTTP Event Collection end points. On top of that add the desire to index Server performance data and error / event logs from a web farm. So a single all in one box would likely choke on that incoming data, let alone struggle to act as a search head too.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

bsherwoodofdapt
Explorer

Old question, but I'll toss on my response.

Setup a 'Heavy Forwarder'. It is a full enterprise 6.x server, but you trim it back so that Search isn't used. You can set it to 'index and forward', then pump your database server (DB Connect) data into it and have Splunk forward that to the far side (where ever that may be, even if it is only 6 inches away).

This lets your search head be search heads, and your data gatherer (forwarder) do the hard work on a different box.

For a lot of people the idea of 'more boxes' is uncomfortable. If you have a small shop and not a lot of data you want to bring into Splunk, then an all in one box, or a combo Search Head / DB Connect box can work. As the value of that searchable data out paces the single boxes ability to keep up, you may be able to find the budget for more servers. Remember that you are paying for capacity. So all these extra forwarders and search heads have a smaller price than you might have realized. Plus, you might find the size of a forwarder is a lot smaller then the big box you have your indexer running one.

My first 'production data' box was a single all in one with DB Connect pulling data every 60 seconds from a logging database on MS SQL Server. But it doesn't have much else going into it so it works just fine.

My latest stack will use a distributed model to deal with the influx of data. I am looking at 7 different Heavy Forwarders running a variant of what my 'all in one' box was doing (in 7 different environments), plus a whole lot of servers pushing data into HTTP Event Collection end points. On top of that add the desire to index Server performance data and error / event logs from a web farm. So a single all in one box would likely choke on that incoming data, let alone struggle to act as a search head too.

0 Karma

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

As per documentation, it's only supported in Splunk Enterprise (6.1 or later), so my guess will be that we can't install it on UF.

See here,

http://answers.splunk.com/answers/107067/db-connect-on-splunk-forwarder.html
http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/DBX/2.0.4/DeployDBX/Prerequisites

0 Karma

veerender

So if install db connect app in search head and perform the read operations in it will it impact the performance (the size of the database is very large)

0 Karma

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

It'll affect the performance. That's why we, and may be many others, create a separate job server instance for these kind of jobs, basically a dedicated search head.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...