All Apps and Add-ons

Can I extract Syslog from SNMP traps using SNMP Modular Input via UDP (or TCP) 514?

Splunker
Communicator

Hi folks,

I'll try this out shortly, but thought i'd ask.

Cisco devices have the ability to send standard RFC formatted Syslogs over SNMP (v3 in this case) traps over TCP.

Using the SNMP Modular input, could i extract the Syslog from the trap and process it as if it was a normal Syslog entering Splunk via UDP (or TCP) 514?

I've ingested traps via snmptrapd writing to a log-file in the past, but there is alot of SNMP "junk" in the log i'd have to filter out, i was wondering if the SNMP modular input app has the same issue?

If anyone has any experience, comments, etc, in such a configuration?

Thanks.

Tags (2)
0 Karma

Damien_Dallimor
Ultra Champion

1) The SNMP Modular Input trap listener only listens on UDP (not TCP).

2) if you send syslog formatted data inside the trap , this will get indexed in Splunk and you can then perform whatever search time extractions you require to pull the relevant data from the syslog string into the fields you are interested in and ignore all the junk.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...