All Apps and Add-ons

Cacti Mirage Add-On for Splunk: Why are no hosts being reported?

Esky73
Builder

Hi i have installed the Cacti Mirage Add-On for Splunk on my lab instance which is Search Head and indexer in one.
Cacti is installed in /var/www/html/cacti-1.0.1/
I have installed the Universal Forwarder on cacti and am seeing data for the following sourcetypes coming in to my index called cacti:

cacti:mirage
cacti:system
cacti:lookup:mirage

However some of the reports are missing data - i think because my lookup table is not being populated.

Looking at the search for Cacti Polling & Lookups Status the search is driven by:

eventtype=cacti:mirage | timechart span=5m count by host

In the eventtypes.conf i have:

[cacti:mirage]
search = `cacti_index` sourcetype=cacti:mirage

and if i run

`cacti_index` sourcetype=cacti:mirage 

then that works fine but then if i run:

eventtype=cacti:mirage

i see no results

Any idea why?

Thanks.

0 Karma
1 Solution

mattymo
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hey Eksy73!

Sorry for the inconvenience! I believe the issue is the use of the macro in the eventtype, which broke somewhere along the upgrade path since we released the app in 6.3

I will make sure to update the app on Splunkbase, in the meantime, try updating the eventtype to :

[splunker@n00bserver local]$ cat eventtypes.conf 
search = index=cacti sourcetype=cacti:mirage

[cacti:lookup:mirage]
search = index=cacti sourcetype=cacti:lookup:mirage
[splunker@n00bserver local]$ 

The macro was only thrown in to let users set their own index, but at this point we will just take it out and ensure the users either use index=cacti or configure the eventtype accordingly.

Let me know if that solves it for you

Thanks!

Matt

- MattyMo

View solution in original post

mattymo
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hey Eksy73!

Sorry for the inconvenience! I believe the issue is the use of the macro in the eventtype, which broke somewhere along the upgrade path since we released the app in 6.3

I will make sure to update the app on Splunkbase, in the meantime, try updating the eventtype to :

[splunker@n00bserver local]$ cat eventtypes.conf 
search = index=cacti sourcetype=cacti:mirage

[cacti:lookup:mirage]
search = index=cacti sourcetype=cacti:lookup:mirage
[splunker@n00bserver local]$ 

The macro was only thrown in to let users set their own index, but at this point we will just take it out and ensure the users either use index=cacti or configure the eventtype accordingly.

Let me know if that solves it for you

Thanks!

Matt

- MattyMo

Esky73
Builder

Hi,

Using 6.5.2

Thanks for that - there were a few other broken searches - but you got me on the right track and all's looking good. Thanks a lot.

0 Karma

mattymo
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

looking to load up an update soon!

- MattyMo
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...