All Apps and Add-ons

Apps - Upgrade to 8 - Splunk Platform Upgrade Readiness App

Jakub
Explorer

Hi All,

we are going to upgrade from splunk 7.3.3 to 8, but first I need to check compatibility of all apps with  Splunk Platform Upgrade Readiness App.

We have indexer cluste, search head cluster, master node, deployer, deployment server, splunk monitoring web etc. , there are plenty of apps.

Question is very general: Where needs to be Splunk Platform Upgrade Readiness App installed to cover all apps and makes it sufficient? Where it is not needed? Can you mention some approach how to decide? Are there some tips from experience?

I would like to create some list like: I will install it here here and here and now I know I checked all apps.

Thank you very much

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @Jakub,

the best approach is surely to install the Readiness app in all systems that have Apps, that means Search Heads and Indexers (usually Deployment Server, Deployer and Cluster Node haven't own apps).

The most important are SHs, because usually Indexers contain only Add-Ons and you could check them in Splunkbase (verify if the installed version is or not compatible with Splunk 8).

Obviously, if you have custom apps (especially using Python scripts) on Indexers or SHs, it's better to use the Readiness app.

The same chck should be performed also on Heavy Forwarders (if present).

You can find more infos at https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/UpgradeReadiness/2.2.0/Use/About

Ciao.

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @Jakub,

the best approach is surely to install the Readiness app in all systems that have Apps, that means Search Heads and Indexers (usually Deployment Server, Deployer and Cluster Node haven't own apps).

The most important are SHs, because usually Indexers contain only Add-Ons and you could check them in Splunkbase (verify if the installed version is or not compatible with Splunk 8).

Obviously, if you have custom apps (especially using Python scripts) on Indexers or SHs, it's better to use the Readiness app.

The same chck should be performed also on Heavy Forwarders (if present).

You can find more infos at https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/UpgradeReadiness/2.2.0/Use/About

Ciao.

Giuseppe

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...