All Apps and Add-ons

App to measure pageloadtime, serverconnectiontime, pageuploadtime and ServerResponseTime for webpage

arjit
Path Finder

Hi All, 

Which app can be used to measure pageloadtime, serverconnectiontime, pageuploadtime and ServerResponseTime for a webpage? 

Splunk app for Web analytics seems to be a good match but not sure whether it can give the above details. Has anyone used any app to get the above details into Splunk?  

Thanks

Arjit

Labels (2)
Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

Richfez
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Did you notice the screenshots on the app's page?  Take a look at them because I think they roughly tell you what the app will provide.  Click on them to make them bigger.

https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/2699/#/details

Though "server connection time" vs. "server response time" I don't know about; I'm not sure web logs report such information so that may take a different data source.

Also page upload time... what would that be in reference to?

So, let's talk bigger picture for a second.  The details the app is showing you in Splunk are purely things it can get from the data, either because it's directly *in* the data or because it's calculable from that data. 

If your source data does not contain a breakdown of "server time" vs." client time" for the pages its serving, then it won't be easy if even possible to have Splunk tell us this.  Take a look at your own web logs and see if those are fields in it. 

Of course, if it's your own website, I hear a very popular way to instrument it is to build a small function that uploads a metrics-style piece of data to the Splunk HTTP Event Collector for each page load, start time, end time, etc.   With that you can do practically anything you want or need to do.

Anyway, back to the point.  This app appears to use standard web logs, and only has a single prerequisite.  Why not load the app and the prerequisite app for reading your data files in, load a subset of your data and give it a test in a test environment?

View solution in original post

arjit
Path Finder

Thanks @Richfez  ! I read through this and I guess we would have to rely on a  different Data source for server related information.. We were leveraging the "Google analytics app for Splunk" App to get these details earlier but now that has been deprecated and no longer supported hence looking for an alternative solution to that.. Any suggestions which App can be used which can give us these details? 

Thanks in advance! Appreciate your help! 

Kind regards

AG. 

0 Karma

Richfez
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Is it this archived app?  https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/4174/#/details

That has a pretty impressive set of metrics it can pull out of GA, and I'm not aware of anything else that would do that sort of a job.

Which  means ... why not keep using it? At least until forced to give it up.  That won't happen until you leave Splunk 7.x which you shouldn't have to do until next June of 2021 for support purposes.

https://www.splunk.com/en_us/legal/splunk-software-support-policy.html

But then again, a heavy forwarder that remains on an unsupported Splunk version 7.x can still forward data to Splunk 8.0 indexers, so that little box in the back chugging away pulling data out of the API for Google Analytics may continue to work for quite a while yet.  Years maybe.

Of course, I'd suggest continuing to look and investigate alternatives - I'm sure there's something out there but I'm not aware of what it is.  Hopefully someone will hop in here with a suggestion!

(Or something new will pop up in the next few months!)

Richfez
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Did you notice the screenshots on the app's page?  Take a look at them because I think they roughly tell you what the app will provide.  Click on them to make them bigger.

https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/2699/#/details

Though "server connection time" vs. "server response time" I don't know about; I'm not sure web logs report such information so that may take a different data source.

Also page upload time... what would that be in reference to?

So, let's talk bigger picture for a second.  The details the app is showing you in Splunk are purely things it can get from the data, either because it's directly *in* the data or because it's calculable from that data. 

If your source data does not contain a breakdown of "server time" vs." client time" for the pages its serving, then it won't be easy if even possible to have Splunk tell us this.  Take a look at your own web logs and see if those are fields in it. 

Of course, if it's your own website, I hear a very popular way to instrument it is to build a small function that uploads a metrics-style piece of data to the Splunk HTTP Event Collector for each page load, start time, end time, etc.   With that you can do practically anything you want or need to do.

Anyway, back to the point.  This app appears to use standard web logs, and only has a single prerequisite.  Why not load the app and the prerequisite app for reading your data files in, load a subset of your data and give it a test in a test environment?

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

Splunk is officially part of Cisco

Revolutionizing how our customers build resilience across their entire digital footprint.   Splunk ...

Splunk APM & RUM | Planned Maintenance March 26 - March 28, 2024

There will be planned maintenance for Splunk APM and RUM between March 26, 2024 and March 28, 2024 as ...