All Apps and Add-ons

After upgrading the Splunk App for VMware from 3.0.1 to 3.1.3, why does it keeps showing "App License Status" page?

jrsanders
Path Finder

So I recently upgraded our app for VMware from 3.0.1 to 3.1.3. After the upgrade, I went to the app from the Web Interface. It ran the configuration check and nothing erred out. When I try to click the home button to go to the VMware dashboard, it sends me to the "App License Status" and tells me "No valid license detected. See details below." When I go to Licensing page I can see our license for the app there. I tried deleting it and restarting Splunk, but that didn't fix the issue. I read from another question that I needed to remove the SA-VMW-Licensecheck folder, but I don't even have that folder. It wasn't a part of the upgrade. Anyone have any insight on what I should try next?

0 Karma
1 Solution

trsavela
Path Finder

This is indeed a bug in the version. I went round and round with support trying to resolve. The final solution was disabling the licence app on the SH.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

trsavela
Path Finder

This is indeed a bug in the version. I went round and round with support trying to resolve. The final solution was disabling the licence app on the SH.

0 Karma

Masa
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Sorry to hear that trsavela. I've checked your case.
Just F.Y.I. It was v3.1.0. In fact, the v3.1.0 was using old design of License Check. So, removing SA-VMW-Licensecheck package was a last resort. From v3.1.1, the app started new design which will work with v6.2.x Splunk platform. Feature in SA-VMW-Licensecheck is not used from v3.1.1.
Again, sorry for your experience.

0 Karma

trsavela
Path Finder

Splunk Support was a great help as always, we'll be updating the vmWare app one of theses days.

0 Karma

Masa
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

v3.0.x and v3.1.x have different design in how to check VMware app license.
There are some known bugs.
http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/VMW/3.1.3/Release/Knownissues

Please double-check with different browsers and see the problem still happens.

Will "refresh" button detect a valid license?

If you're using Trial license installed in remote License Master, it should detect the license. But, expiration would not be detected properly.

If you already bought VMware app license, please file a Support case so that we can look into the logs and settings to find a proper solution in this case. Depending on errors in logs, solution would be different.

0 Karma

jrsanders
Path Finder

The problem occurs regardless of which browser I use. I've hit refresh several times and nothing changes. We have a valid license for the app, but it doesn't seem to read it.

0 Karma

Masa
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

jrsanders, thank you for filing a Support case.
Your case was due to a bug TAG-8924 in v3.1.3. Some user received a VMware license with floating point as value. This value is expected as integer in code. As a result, the license check validation failed. Most of users who bought a VMware app license should not have this issue.

How to identify this issue:
1. Open your VMware license (Trial license does not have this issue.)
2. Look for parameter tag, and check value of key="size".
3. If the value is a floating format like this value="20.000", you will hit this bug. If not, you're not hitting this bug.

1. Please file a Support case when this happens in v3.1.3.
  2. Next maintenance release v3.1.4 should fix this issue
  3. Filed this issue in dev. team for License generation system. They will avoid this issue in the license generation stage.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...