All Apps and Add-ons

After migrating from Splunk DB Connect version 1 to version 2, why does the app handle date time differently than the previous version?

groland
Explorer

Hi everyone,

When I used Splunk DB Connect v1 on MS SQL, I was able to something like that (very simplified):

| dbquery mssql "SELECT GETDATE() AS getdate" | eval _time = getdate | timechart count

But with Splunk DB Connect v2, the datetime is output as string and wasn't recognized as a timestamp, so this doesn't work anymore:

| dbxquery connection=mssql query="SELECT GETDATE() AS getdate" | eval _time = getdate | timechart count

The workaround is to convert the date to timestamp before using it in the timechart:

| dbxquery connection=mssql shortnames=t query="SELECT GETDATE() AS getdate" | eval getdate = strptime(getdate, "%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S.%3Q") | eval _time = getdate | timechart count

Is this a desired feature or an issue on my side?

Thanks!

0 Karma
1 Solution

jcoates_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi,

This is intentional. The documentation under "Choose Column" in http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/DBX/3.0.0/DeployDBX/Createandmanagedatabaseinputs#Set_parameter... covers the current behavior for this feature.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

jcoates_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi,

This is intentional. The documentation under "Choose Column" in http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/DBX/3.0.0/DeployDBX/Createandmanagedatabaseinputs#Set_parameter... covers the current behavior for this feature.

0 Karma

groland
Explorer

Hi,

Thanks for the answer. Maybe things have changed now with DBX 3.0.0 (I haven't tested).
For the documentation, is seem talking about the inputs and on my side, I've an issue with the dbxquery so those parameters aren't available (because it's not indexation).

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...