All Apps and Add-ons

Add-on Builder vs AppInspect vs slim. Which is the best? How to call them automatically?

turbobobi
Explorer

I am investigating how to have a continuous build process for our Splunk addon and I saw that there are 3 options:

slim gave me very little output and it wasn't clear what sort of validations it was running.
app-inspect is very configurable and provides rich output so I'm pretty happy with it.

However, I got a recommendation to trust the Add-on Builder's validations. Unfortunately, apart from using some Selenium manipulations to touch the Splunk UI, I wasn't able to identify a way to automatically call it validation logic from an HTTP API or a cli.

Finally, the output of AppInspect & the Add-on Builder differs - I'm currently checking why this is so.
Perhaps the validations are completely different ...

So my questions to the community are:
1. What is the best approach to validate a Splunk add-on?
2. How would you recommend automating at least the validation part of the process?

Thank you so much in advance!

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

AppInspect is the tool to use to validate Splunk apps.  If you will be installing the app in Splunk Cloud then it must pass AppInspect.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

AppInspect is the tool to use to validate Splunk apps.  If you will be installing the app in Splunk Cloud then it must pass AppInspect.

---

turbobobi
Explorer

Thank you for the reply, @richgalloway !

So, is it safe to assume that the validations of the Add-on Builder are a some sort of a subset of the validations of AppInspect?

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I would not make that assumption since we don't know that AoB changes whenever AppInspect changes.  Use AoB to build your app and AppInspect to validate it.

---
0 Karma

Marco_Develops
Path Finder

Having already built a Splunk app and Publishing it on Splunkbase i'm familiar with  AppInspect and slim.

Slim is used to package your Splunk App.  Slim ships with Splunk, it's inside the Bin Folder.  Link To Slim Docs 

In regards to automation, you can use  AppInspect with Postman. It makes the AppInspect process easier. I made a video on how to use AppInspect with Postman  AppInspect with Postman Tutorial .  Also here is the link to the Docs: AppInspect With Postman .

I've never used Add-on Builder.

In conclusion, One tool isn't better than the other, they each serve their own purpose. Slim packages your app and AppInspect uses that packaged app to make sure its good for SplunkBase. 

-Marco

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...