All Apps and Add-ons

Accessing Response Handler Arguments from responsehandlers.py for REST API Modular Input app

AmyAllocate
Engager

I have just one parameter I need to pass through my API, it is a string, here is how my "Response Handler Arguments" field looks in the Splunk apps settings for the REST data input:

string=abc

I've seen a few questions on here and people seem to have this format for their arguments.
Now I want to pass this string into the handler, and then add it on to the events I am streaming into Splunk. My question is, how do I access this string for use in the python program.

I've tried the traditional args method of python, but it's running rest.py or another program which isn't the same program. I've tried logging the values in the "req_args" value passed into the "call_" function, to see what they are, but they don't seem to contain my string value.

In a few other examples[1], people seem to check if the "req_args" contains a "params" key, value pair, and if it doesn't they create one, and then create the arguments in the program. I am very confused by this as I assumed the idea of arguments was to pass them from outside the program, so I'm confused as to why people are creating parameters during the programs execution and then doing nothing with them.

Thanks!

0 Karma
1 Solution

Damien_Dallimor
Ultra Champion
class MyJSONArrayHandler:

def __init__(self,**args):
        self.somekey = args['somekey']
        pass

def __call__(self, response_object,raw_response_output,response_type,req_args,endpoint):
        if response_type == "json":
            output = json.loads(raw_response_output)

for entry in output['value']:
                entry['somekey'] = self.somekey
                print_xml_stream(json.dumps(entry))
        else:
            print_xml_stream(raw_response_output)

View solution in original post

Damien_Dallimor
Ultra Champion
class MyJSONArrayHandler:

def __init__(self,**args):
        self.somekey = args['somekey']
        pass

def __call__(self, response_object,raw_response_output,response_type,req_args,endpoint):
        if response_type == "json":
            output = json.loads(raw_response_output)

for entry in output['value']:
                entry['somekey'] = self.somekey
                print_xml_stream(json.dumps(entry))
        else:
            print_xml_stream(raw_response_output)

jpanderson
Path Finder

Worked for me, thanks a lot!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...