All Apps and Add-ons

Ability To Ingest Solarwinds DPA Data with SoarWinds Add-On

deastman
Path Finder

I'm currently utilizing SolarWinds DPA. I would like to ingest data from SWDPA for use within Splunk. However, I'm not interested in consuming every single bit of data from DPA into Splunk. Does this SW Add-On allow for ingestion from the DPA application? If so, how is that configured?

0 Karma
1 Solution

Richfez
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The Add-on for SolarWinds uses SolarWind's REST API to retrieve data from SolarWinds.

This is nearly all cases is far, far better than using a DB connection because, in the understated words of a DBA working in conjunction with a Thwack MVP we employ, the DB can be "a bit messy."

But that means if the data you want is not available over the REST API, this might not work.

Reviewing the results of a web search for something like "solarwinds dpa api" returns hits like this disappointing support item. Of course, their documentation isn't clear about if this is current information or old, so maybe this has been resolved. I get other hints it has not been resolved.

While that's disappointing, all isn't necessarily lost, though. The data that the REST interface exposes (or in this case doesn't expose) is still stored in the SW DB. While it won't be easy because, again, it's messy under the covers, it should at least be possible to install the Splunk DB Connect app and create the queries you need to get this data.

Unfortunately "Possible" is a far cry from "Easy". Still, I hope this at least gives you options.

I CAN say that for the other stuff SW exposes via REST, it works pretty well.

Happy Splunking!
-Rich

View solution in original post

0 Karma

Richfez
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The Add-on for SolarWinds uses SolarWind's REST API to retrieve data from SolarWinds.

This is nearly all cases is far, far better than using a DB connection because, in the understated words of a DBA working in conjunction with a Thwack MVP we employ, the DB can be "a bit messy."

But that means if the data you want is not available over the REST API, this might not work.

Reviewing the results of a web search for something like "solarwinds dpa api" returns hits like this disappointing support item. Of course, their documentation isn't clear about if this is current information or old, so maybe this has been resolved. I get other hints it has not been resolved.

While that's disappointing, all isn't necessarily lost, though. The data that the REST interface exposes (or in this case doesn't expose) is still stored in the SW DB. While it won't be easy because, again, it's messy under the covers, it should at least be possible to install the Splunk DB Connect app and create the queries you need to get this data.

Unfortunately "Possible" is a far cry from "Easy". Still, I hope this at least gives you options.

I CAN say that for the other stuff SW exposes via REST, it works pretty well.

Happy Splunking!
-Rich

0 Karma

deastman
Path Finder

Rich,
Thank you for your insight and answer on this matter. I agree the DB is rather messy. We are going to pursue the DB Connect option possibly. Otherwise, we may forgo ingesting this unless required, as the DPA interface seems to work just fine.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...