All Apps and Add-ons

AWS IAM Role

davidhofmann
Explorer

Is it possible to have the Splunk Add-on for AWS use the IAM Role assigned to the splunk server instead of using AWS user credentials?

0 Karma

rpille_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Yes, you can. That is in fact the recommended way to handle this. See http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/AddOns/latest/AWS/ConfigureAWSpermissions for details about the permissions. The docs say: "You can use the AWS Policy Generator tool to collect all permissions into one centrally managed policy that you can apply to the IAM used by the Splunk Enterprise server."

rpille_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

You can create a user specifically for the purpose of handling the Splunk Enterprise connection, assign them to the IAM role, then use that set of credentials when you set up the add-on and configure the connection to the AWS account.

davidhofmann
Explorer

That's what I'm doing now. But I was wondering if it's possible to not use user creditals and instead use the Server assigned role.

0 Karma

rpille_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I see what you mean. No, not at this time. As it is designed, the add-on's connection with AWS depends on an account key ID and secret key.

davidhofmann
Explorer

Thanks. Policy wise I can set that up, but I'm not sure how to configure it on the splunk server side once I've assigned the IAM role to the server.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...