Alerting

how to edit the title after alert saved?

logloganathan
Motivator

Could anyone please suggest how to edit the alert title after the alert got saved

Labels (2)
Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

elliotproebstel
Champion

It's possible (but a bit of a kludge) to edit this directly in the configuration files. But the easiest way to do this is to clone the alert - giving the clone the name you want - and then delete the original alert. That's what I usually do.

View solution in original post

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

You can either clone it, or edit savedsearches.conf in the CLI. Those are your only options.

elliotproebstel
Champion

It's possible (but a bit of a kludge) to edit this directly in the configuration files. But the easiest way to do this is to clone the alert - giving the clone the name you want - and then delete the original alert. That's what I usually do.

dpark1113
Explorer

I think the feature needs to be added in the next version of Splunk. Internally clone and delete.

logloganathan
Motivator

Thanks..currently i am doing the same thing

0 Karma

niketn
Legend

@elliotproebstel while this could be easiest way to do it from the UI. Another approach would be to rename the alert in the savedsearches.conf file and then refresh or restart splunk.

elliotproebstel
Champion

Don't you also need to edit the related metadata file? I'm often nervous that there's a thread from one conf file to another that I'm failing to keep in sync when I go that route.

0 Karma

niketn
Legend

No not required 🙂

elliotproebstel
Champion

Good to know, thanks! I'll try to remember that.

0 Karma

damien_chillet
Builder

@niketnilay Are you sure about that?
If you rename a search in savedsearches.conf that have specific metadata in local.meta for example, there is no way the renamed search will inherit the same metadata.

niketn
Legend

Ok so while cloning gives an option to Clone the permissions however, this approach means local.meta file settings for the alert would also need to be copied or manually edit the permissions from front end.

damien_chillet
Builder

Oh alright, so you were talking about cloning in the first place? Sorry i did not realise.
I would expect cloning to also clone the permissions.
However manual edit of the savedsearches.conf would require to change the name of the object in metadata stanza as well.

niketn
Legend

Actually @elliotproebstel 's answer is based on cloning. I was suggesting Manual Edit and like you pointed out the Alert will loose permission hence manual copying of local.meta will also be required.

elliotproebstel
Champion

Ahh, yes. That's what I thought. Sounds like we were just talking past each other accidentally. 🙂

So to conclude, you can either:
1. Clone the alert in the UI, giving it a new name in the process; or
2. Modify both the savedsearches.conf and local.meta files to reflect the new name

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...