Alerting

alert_actions.conf suddenly appears at SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/[appname]/local/

mufthmu
Path Finder

Hi Fellow Splunkers,

I have an issue with triggered alerts failing to send email with authentication error (I use smtp). I found out that alert_actions.conf was mysteriously created under SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/[appname]/local/ with below stanza:

[email]
auth_password = encrypted value

This value takes precedence over system/local/alert_actions.conf and is the main reason why emails are not getting sent. These issues only come in my custom apps, search app is working as it should.

This is a splunk cluster with 3 search heads, this issue is seen in every search head and local/alert_actions.conf is always automatically created even after I deleted them. Note that I always push changes from master node, so I can't explain why is there a file in my custom apps under /local/ directories.

Any input would be appreciated, thank you!

Labels (2)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...