Alerting

Why were my triggered alerts cleared after restart?

ejread
Explorer

While working through 10+ triggered alerts shown on the "Triggered Alerts" page, we had to restart the search head for maintenance. After the restart finished, all the triggered alerts disappeared. Is this expected or not?

Tags (2)
1 Solution

gfuente
Motivator

This is the expected behaviour. The fired alerts are search artifacts that persist in the var (temporal) folder. So whenSplunk is restarted those artifacts are deleted.

I would recommend you using this app, to improve the splunk default alerting system:

https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/2665/

It stores the alerts as incidents in the KV store, so they will survive to restarts

Regards

View solution in original post

gfuente
Motivator

This is the expected behaviour. The fired alerts are search artifacts that persist in the var (temporal) folder. So whenSplunk is restarted those artifacts are deleted.

I would recommend you using this app, to improve the splunk default alerting system:

https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/2665/

It stores the alerts as incidents in the KV store, so they will survive to restarts

Regards

joshua_hart1
Path Finder

Thanks. I have Alert Manager; though it's in a testing phase right now. We'll look at that for a more permanent solution. Thanks again.

• Josh
0 Karma

joshua_hart1
Path Finder

Did you ever figure this one out? We're using REST to populate a dashboard with fired alerts and noticed the same behavior.

0 Karma

neelamssantosh
Contributor

Are you restarting the server as its getting hanged or due to heavy load issues.
And i hope, Unfortunately it would be yes as after restart your Dispatch/cache/buffer will get cleared as the OS.

0 Karma

joshua_hart1
Path Finder

Splunk service is being restart in order to read in new configs and install new apps. It doesn't seem smart that the alerts are stored on disk (kv store, summary index, etc.)

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...