Alerting

Why is custom alert action not working?

tlsawyer
Explorer

I'm new to writing apps for Splunk, so I'm trying something simple. A raw payload dump. I have the alert set to log the event and fire off my custom action when CPU usage >20%, and only once every 15 minutes. So i have a reliable trigger source. However, it never seems to launch my action and I can't for the life of me figure out why. I'm trying to get the code to write a line to one file when it launches, write debug to another, and write both json and raw to separate files so I can decide on parsing later. Any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong here?? I'm not even getting the line in the file to let me know it tried to run.

alert_actions.conf:

[NCPAServiceAlert]
is_custom = 1
label = NCPA Service Alert
description = Test Alert for NCPA Listener Service
icon_path = awesomesauce.PNG
payload_format = json
python.version = python3

NCPAServiceAlert.py:

import json
import sys
import logging
import time
import datetime

ts = time.time()
sttime = datetime.datetime.fromtimestamp(ts).strftime('%Y%m%d_%H:%M:%S - ')

didirun = "C:/Users/Public/debug/Did_I_Run.txt"
with open(didirun, "w+") as d:
d.write(sttime + " I ran. Can't say much about the rest though." + \n)

logging.basicConfig(filename='C:/Users/Public/debug/debug.txt', filemode='w' encoding='utf-8', level=logging.DEBUG)

class NCPAServiceAlert:
def __init__(self):
logging.debug()
self.params = [
#"configuration"
#"text"
]

def send_alert
logging.debug()
filejson = "C:/Users/Public/debug/alertdump.txt"
with open(filejson, "w+") as f:
payload = json.loads(sys.stdin.read())
f.write(payload)
fileraw = "C:/Users/Public/debug/generic_dump.txt"
with open(fileraw, "w+") as g:
payload = sys.stdin.read()
g.write(payload)

if __name__ == "__main__":
logging.debug()
if len(sys.argv) < 2 or sys.argv[1] != "--execute":
sys.stderr.write(FATAL EXCEPTION (expected --execute flag)\n)
sys.exit(1)
if not send_alert()
sys.exit(2)

except Exception as e:
sys.stderr.write(ERROR - Unexpected error %s\n % e)
sys.exit(3)

Labels (2)
0 Karma

tlsawyer
Explorer

Well I found the problem. The script runs when I comment out the execute flag check section. Might be a bit of a problem, as it seems this is supposed to be in there for live apps.

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The alert_actions.conf stanza is missing  alert.execute.cmd = <file in bin directory> so Splunk knows what code to run when the alert triggers.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

tlsawyer
Explorer

Hmm, still not working. I'm trying to find the logs and see if there is anything that would help figure out the cause.

0 Karma

tlsawyer
Explorer

Awesome, I'll try adding that. I didn't see that in other apps but I'll give her a try. Thanks man.

Tags (1)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...